View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 01:28 AM
dss
river

Re: Barbara Barbara dirty reviews
Surprised this didn't get mentioned overnight. Thought I'd check in this morning and find everyone livid. Interview with High Contrast on his involvement with BBWFASF...

https://ukf.com/words/high-contrast-...ew-label/15917

Let’s start with Underworld. Really interesting album. It stops really suddenly after seven tracks and made me want more!
That was the plan. They’re an unconventional act; they’re always looking at how to do things differently. A lot of people overload their albums these days; for example hip-hop albums sometimes have 18-20 tracks and, if you’re honest, you can chop out at least four or five. 45 minutes is about the right time to expect people to invest in listening to an album. It doesn’t have to be that epic hour and twenty minute slog. One thing they didn’t anticipate was that a lot of reactions from people were that they listened to it again straight away. There was a huge amount of attention paid to the arrangement and flow of the album and tracks were lost due to that too. There was a real emphasis on not making anything overblown.

What did your role as co-producer comprise? I had them down as producers anyway…
We’ve worked together before and get along really well. Obviously there’s the Welsh connection and a lot of shared interests but they’re such great pros with real history with tips about music and life in general. I was more than happy to get on board when they asked me to come along and lend a fresh pair of ears. They wrote the songs together then asked me to come in and help get perspective on things and add an extra 10 percent here and there. The tracks would start out 15 minutes long. I’d go in and get a structure down to five minutes then Rick would pull it back to eight minutes or so. They’re real artists, there was no consideration about making anything radio friendly or marketable or more commercial in any way. The mission was simple: let’s make the most beautiful record we possibly can.