View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM
amhilde
mouseman

Re: 2016-03-25 London Roundhouse 2
Yeah, I think it really does all come down to where you are in the crowd. I had a good love-in going on around me with plenty of space Thursday... until the fire alarm. Friday I could tell it was a distinctly different vibe (whoever said hotter and faster was right) and I was up front (behind a guy with a lot of red hair and beard on the rail) by Karl. Folks were fine and I had space until about Low Burn when the WEIRDEST group of people shoved forward. I thought Tommy Wiseau had shown up with a harem of four 22 yr olds who looked/acted like they had read about "raves" and "electronic music" on Wikipedia. They were very pushy and invasive - I felt extremely bad for the girlfriend of the red haired man who kept having her ass felt up by these girls, even after giving them a yelling at multiple times. But you push through and deal and try and enjoy regardless.

I had a good time at both shows (well, three if you include Berlin), but I think there is a gap in expectations between the band and the crowd It seemed like a lot of people were trying to turn the clock back but the band and songs have moved on somewhat, so they deliver partly on the promise of a rollicking night out. (this was mentioned on the writeup on the RH1 page 3). By the time those big party tunes came on one after the other at the end people were all sorts of ready to let loose and they did, which was fun in some ways and disturbing in others. These shows were absolutely better than dubno in terms of pure band and crowd energy, but I also feel a tinge of sadness too that I'm not real sure why.

Merch: I got the poster (love that magenta/purple color that is worked throughout a lot of the promo on this album. Wasn't that the pantone color of the year last year? ), vinyl, and a tote bag. T-shirts can always be hit or miss in terms of fit for a woman, but a tote is forever!