View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 12:55 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Drift Ep. 2, Part 3 - Threat of Rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Saint View Post
Don't agree with that at all! Underworld have always been about the rambling, obscure lyrics …. only the 2 most recent album lyrics could possibly 'tell a story' - everything before that makes little sense
Oh, I don't know about that last statement. "Dirty Epic" and "Moaner" have as clear stories, or at least strong hints as does "I exhale" or "Nylon Strung", for instance.

Yeah, you could take the lyrics as rambling or cutup, or deliberate clues to a certain vibe from Karl's life in notes. Maybe we make our own interpretations here and there. Still, I think the point was the lyrics in the Drift releases have been, with the exception of Low Between Zebras", rather sparse and more often a few repeated phrases. But that's true of many classic UW tracks. "Bruce Lee" and "King of snake" aren't terribly verbose. And repetition of phrase is an Underworld staple.

Personally, I really love the edge to "He doesn't want to talk to annnyyyone!" on "Dexter's Chalk, which also tells a bit of a story, too!