View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM
grady
fac321

Re: There will be blood - trailer (teaser)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet
really? i thought it became a parody of itself at the end. delving into black comedy really seemed to make a disjointed mood.

Also the characters were well wrought, it was powerful, beautiful, blah blah blah, but it just didn't mean much to me in the end. mainly because nothing was explained as far as motives go. Why does plainwater hate people? any reason? just does?
I can see how it can be taken as a parody or delving into black comedy but at the same time, the ending feels like a sucker punch of sorts that I feel catches people off guard. That said I found it worked for me.

Fair enough, nothing was explained as far as motives go for Plainview other what we glean in his conversations with people like his brother, but the same argument of lack of motive other than the most simplistic can be said for a multitude of film characters and one that immediately comes to mind is Anton Chigurh(sp) in No Country for Old Men.

Can you say what his motives are other than the pursuit of money? Does everything require explanation in a film or a book? Is ambiguity a problem? Just a few questions to consider as something I view signify one thing in a story is taken entirely differently by someone else. I have a perfect example of this from No Country for Old Men but don't want to get to carried away.