View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: Dutch on verge of getting most right wing government in the EU, in dutch history
Quote:
Originally Posted by human151
Do you really think that most pakistani immigrants to England, for example, consider themselves British? Or, do they still consider themselves Pakistani?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard
Both, depending on what you ask. Nationally, British. Ethnically, Pakistani, unless they're mixed race. Culturally... a bit of both.
Quote:
Its a pretty straightforward question.
And I responded with a straightforward answer. But here it is again, broken down into more detail. Nationally, it's a technical question - whatever is on their passport. Culturally, some Pakistani immigrants to Britain will consider themselves British. Some will consider themselves Pakistani. If you're asking me to speculate about how most would define themselves, I'd say a majority would consider themselves both British AND Pakistani. (If this answer annoys you and you demand one identity or the other and you think I'm wriggling out of the question, then you need to rein in that tribal mind of yours and try to think in a less binary way! Because clearly not everyone feels the need to pick a single cultural identity.)

Quote:
I am merely asking for a strightforward response to straightforward questions. You have a sneaky way about you in regards to actually answering questions.
Ask a question that's less vague or less loaded with unnecessarily broad assumptions, and you'll get a better answer. If I don't share the premise of your question, then I'm unlikely to be able to provide you with one of the answers you were expecting. Where that happens, I'm trying to explain. That's not being sneaky, it's being honest.