View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 10:23 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Roth View Post
Mali. They need refs for the biggest sporting event in the world and corrupt-as-hell FIFA look to Mali.
not at all bitter, then?

jason; this is football - its beauty and its pain are that it's like life - sometimes it really JUST ISN'T FAIR, and sometimes you get the breaks - but it's only the JUST NOT FAIR bits that stick in the craw and you don't realise that, over a lifetime, there's generally a balance. this isn't a time to chuck your toys out of your pram and start getting into conspiracy and xenophobia. were that so, then sepp (german) blatter would have made damn sure that no german player got sent off for petty fouls, such as we saw today. it's a WORLD cup - that also means that officials from The World are selected to take part. that does mean that officials with less experience of major tournaments may be present; but part of the point is that they gain experience and can pass that on, making The Game stronger - fifa are very concerned with this sort of thing. it's also why they resist taking power away from officials on the field - the beauty of the game is that it's the same, be it the world cup final, or my son's sunday team.

hard to take now, and i understand. as an england fan i've had big decisions go terribly in bigger matches than this. it's shit; but you deal with it. i think it's called 'character-building'.