View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Ummm isn't American football easier? You don't even need the cones...

It wasn't called 'football' for nothing. Back when it was invented most sports were played on horses. For football you used your feet. It's just a name. In rugby, making it to the end zone is called a 'try' even though you get points just for that...but we never use that as an excuse to say "rugby sucks"
A try in rugby is called so because originally you didnt get any points for getting past the line... it was considered "a good try" but not good enough. I believe the only way you got points was from the resulting kick at goal.

Maybe im wrong but isnt the shape of the american football pretty essential to the throwing technique?? Last time i threw an empty can it didnt go very far and youd need something to mark out where the end-zone started...

And let me get one thing straight I enjoy watching Basketball a lot - in fact that is the sport i played most in school and still a good bit today... I make a huge effort to keep in touch with the Celtics (pity about last night) and aswell as Basketball i also follow the Red Sox and enjoy the Superbowl every year (I cant seem to get into Ice Hockey though )... So please be sure to understand that i by no means consider American sports inferior or that they "Suck" and have never wanted to insinuate that they are bad because of the way they are played or refereed....

... but in response to BLD who I must have come across quite strongly to in my post (Not intended)...

Yes, in essence a game of football between my EXTREMELY FIT AND ATHLETIC friends is (essentially!!!!) the exact same as the Champions League final. The rules all apply and whoever scores most wins... it is a beautifuly simple idea that works wonders.

But to think that we are less competitive!? That we are somehow happy with a draw!!!!???? Why in gods name do you think people invest so much time in Football?? Football is the biggest sport in the world - not just Europe - THE WORLD!! - And that is not because people who play football are happy to draw, its because everyone wants to win.

And if it is just America that really really really wants to win they have a shit hard time achieving that don't they? ... and USA didnt look like they wanted to win more today until they went 2-0 down.. and woke up and realised that they are playing a pretty decent side.

The beauty of football is that on a given day anyone has a chance - even "Tiny Slovenia" (as ESPN so big headedly put it)... whereas in fact i would consider Slovenia's qualification to the world cup a bigger achievement because of the high quality of teams in Europe - much much higher quality than those up against the USA in CONCACAF. Although over the years the USA have gradually gotten much better since World Cup 94 I still think there is a strange ignorance that is promoted in the USA that suggests they are the best by right.. when in fact they are still a little off the mark and the game of football is not as rigorously controlled and predictable as many other American sports are.