View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: currently reading?
the victoria vanishes - by christopher fowler

This being my first foray into the mystery genre I don't want to be too negative. Did I enjoy it? Besides the few interesting tidbits on the history of english pubs, not really. alexander mccall smith is on my pile, if that doesn't go much better i'll have to nix mystery books. (patricia highsmith is always exempt)

Catherine the Great: love sex and power - by Virginia Rounding

I haven't read a lot of history but I'm starting to notice a trend. Women historians tend to mark the passage of history with social events and relationships. Men historians tend to measure history by acts of violence. Which can be jarring when you hear about the the existence of the crimean war only because Catherine bangs the war hero, fresh from the field of battle.

The Rest is Noise - Alex Ross

Finally!!! Something awesomez to read!!! A history of the twentieth century as reflected by its music. This man sounds incredibly smart. And if that doesn't turn out to be true, he's at least incredibly interesting. Haven't got past Shoenberg, Webern, and Berg (germans are LOL) but man what fun to read.

- Mark Twain