View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 AM
purlieu
enofa

Re: ATL080328 - 23 minute Born Slippy (Original)/Pearls Girl/Beautiful Burnout live j
I'm honestly just happy that the sets are much more varied again these days. I love the thing of them getting friends to write their setlists for them and trying to follow them. It's immediately more inspiring than the very static shows they were doing a few years ago.

But yeah, we often want bands to live up to expectations we place on them largely because of our own experiences and favourite eras. Would I love Underworld to be doing two hour unbroken improvised live sets? Yeah. Would I love Orbital to still be doing chunky analogue sounding breakbeat-infused 10 minute epics? Yeah. Would I love FSOL to still do audio-visual ISDN tours? Yeah. But these things just aren't what the artists want to do now, they've done that and are working in a way that reflects their interests and feelings in 2019. A few gifts to hardcore fans, like these between-Drift bonuses, are lovely, but they're very much the exception rather than the rule.