Thread: Apocolypto
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 05:26 PM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
Re: Apocolypto
Those expecting The Passion Part 2 (and I don't know why I was expecting that but I was) will be very surprised. It's really more of a shameless action movie where the last half hour or so is one long chase through the jungle. At times it even gets Rambo First Blood Part Two-esque (not with guns but with jungle camo-kills and booby traps and whatnot)... the little bit of eco- and politico-message present is pretty much shoved to the sidelines... as things you see while heading for something else. It's not so subjective to lose interest (like Marie Antionette) but it definitely doesn't explain a lot of what is shown.

The Trailer looks beautiful and I'm hoping the rest of the film is that pretty when it comes out. The version I saw was a straight rip off the avid so that may account for it but... what i watched looked like it was shot on a crappy consumer-level miniDV cam. I'm sure it'll look much closer to the trailer when it's done though.

But since it wasn't pretty when I saw it, I have to admit that I liked the movie anyway. Plenty of people didn't (the girl next to me leaned over and whispered "more like apocaCRAPto" afterwards) but plenty of people did... Personally, I hated The Passion and liked (not loved) Braveheart... So i was pleasantly surprised at how... unburdened this was.

If you're at all curious about this, I'd say you should definitely see it.

SPOILERS

no, the movie doesn't end with jews starting a war.