View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Caprice
pants

Re: Is Underworld innovative?
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
Underworld single-handedly brought me into a whole new world of music. I'd heard lots of electronic music prior to Underworld -- some dance, some more experimental -- but I didn't really connect with it. Underworld was/is an intelligent, conceptual, well-crafted and delicately prepared electronic band and that to me, is innovative.

Were they the first? Probably not. Did they manage to take dance club type songs and bring them into my car, my house, my headphones in a time when that just wasn't happening? Yes. That's pretty innovative.

@JasonRoth: damn right! Their live show was very innovative. It's not fair to say its not anymore because they well into their career at this point. Artists can't be constantly innovative. Its impossible.
agreed.
i remember first getting dance mix usa vol. 4 (great shit)
then it was the "you've come a long way baby"
then i got the hackers soundtrack
then, i got everything, everything live. first on disc, then on DVD.

nothing was the same after that. i sort of became a music snob until i started playing guitar, which took me away from electronica. but having the knowledge of playing a guitar, taught me what Underworld were doing to be all the more grander.

Underworld is still the only band i know who do what they do, in other words, i've never come across a band blatantly trying to rip Underworld off.
- to me, thats innovation