View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 12:31 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: While we wait for Drift Series 2...
Having lived with the project for a while and upon recently revisiting, here's where I'm at presently:

- Favourite "single" EP: I'm actually going to go with Episode 1 -"Dust", because it was the start of the project and I was very excited and unsure how the series would evolve, but they came out banging with "Universe of Can When Back", "Dexter's Chalk", and "Another Silent Way". These tracks still resonate as fresh and forward-looking, and I've come to really appreciate the words and sentiment of "Low Between Zebras" in the context of the Drift series and where it's cropped up elsewhere (Rick's live jam, "Another Silent Way/Drift Poem/Better than Diamonds" on extended EP, the Drift promos).

Favorite track from each EP:
Dust: "Dexter's Chalk" ... pure acid energy! The whole "he doesn't want to talk to anyone!" bit does me in.
Atom: "Threat of Rain" ...for the simple joys of a long, interesting sonic jam that holds attention and keeps surprising.
Heart: "Custard Speedtalk" just narrowly over "This Must Be Drum Street" (see below)
Space: "Schiphol Test"... moody, melancholy, nostalgic,. "Most 'Ospital" and "Push Upstairs" had offspring.
Game: "Give Me The Room" - dark and dubby.

- Overall favorite track? Ooh, that's tough. Currently, I love the vibe of "Custard Speedtalk", it just feels like R&K are confident in each other's contributions, everything sits well. Friendly studio chatter. Interesting vocal POV. "Universe of..." still holds a high place, and "Schiphol test" just seems quintessentially UW, and wouldn't have been out of place on STITI for me.

- Choice of underrated tracks? "Big Bear" is a fun blippy electro track with cool notebook lyrics. "Tree and Two Chairs" really takes off in interesting places for me, sort of an update of "Hamburg Hotel" from the Barking era.

- Which track you would most like to see revisited (either live, remixed, extended, etc.). "Two Arrows" has a rock element in the distorted/vocoded vocals, fine, but with unnecessary, cringe strings. I'd love to hear this remixed as more of a straight dance track, more electronic elements.

Just a massive amount of music, and I will/do attach a lot of nostalgia to certain tracks as i recall where I was when first hearing them, discovering new sounds and reordering the episodes per my mood.

Last edited by holden; 02-22-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: more on the episodes!