View Single Post
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Re: New Aphex Twin album - syro
The CD dropped through my letterbox this morning... spoilers ahead.

The packaging is suitably odd, a six-panel roll-fold that you have to unroll the the whole way to get to the disc, and the music – well, if you liked the first track, you'll like the rest. I wasn't too taken with it myself. There's no cutting edge exploration, not many innovative new sounds, and a hell of a lot of slightly funky retro beats. The 'buried in the archives' phrase above struck a chord for me - apart from being a bit more polished, this could easily have been sitting in a cupboard at Aphex HQ for 15 to 20 years.

I was expecting a wild ride, flashes of brilliance mixed with unlistenable tosh, but what I got was a set of solid' 6 marks out of 10' tracks. Sometimes it goes faster, sometimes a bit slower. By the time Richard pulled out the Lynne Collins 'think' break, I was getting a bit bored. Cue the five minute SatiƩ inspired slowly changing piano loop cliche to finish, and and we're done.

Warp threw in a sticker, a business card-ish thing, and a fold out gear list. Perhaps they agreed with me that the music wasn't really quite good enough to warrant all the hype?