View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 06:05 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions
First track i heard was NUXX in 1996/97 and loved it. Played it on repeat for the entire weekend.

Next i heard Cowgirl on MTV's AMP (late-night electronica show) and waited excitedly to find out the band name at the end of the video. When I learned it was Underworld I thought, that's it ,time to find some of their albums.

I headed to a music store in the mall armed with the knowledge that I needed to hear Cowgirl again. Except I forgot the name of the song. So I found both Dubno and STiTI at the store and could only afford one. Dubno had a sticker over the tracklisting (Tomato's artwork didn't help much there either) and Second Toughest had a tracked called "Confusion the Waitress" - which triggered my memory: "i think the track was about a girl. this must be it!" Bought it and listened over and over. Being drawn to Juanita and Rowla instantly but realizing the track I wanted to hear wasn't on this album. No big worries though as STiTI was quickly becoming my new favorite.

The next month, I caught a release show (also on MTV) that said "Underworld's new one 'Pearls' Girl" is out today. Rushed back out to the store thinking "This must be it!" And was surprised and confused to learn that it was only an EP - but what an amazing EP it was.

Finally I remembered Dubno existed and was able to get my second listen to Cowgirl - a full 2 months after hearing it for the first time.

Ever since that binge period, ive been massively hooked on UW.