View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: Underworld Electronica contemporaries
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Having gotten into electronic music in the late 90's, I was way into the usual suspects: Chemical Brothers, Moby, Crystal Method, Prodigy, FSOL, Leftfield, Fatboy Slim, Orbital and of course Fluke and Underworld.

Your bringing up LoFi Allstars reminds me of another band that had it's moments: Apollo 440. They had some pop/cheese big beat tracks, but also moments of ambient beauty. Their "Dude Descending a Staircase" lp probably showcases that diversity best, though really each record had fine dance tracks and chill tracks amid some nonsense!

Any Orb fans here? Amazing house-ambient-psychedelic records in the 90's ( loved Adventures beyond the ultraworld, uforb, orbus terrarum and orblivion lps) but gotta say I haven't felt the magic in latter records...they have so many, but seem to repeat themselves a lot.

Seeing the orb on Saturday in Seattle! Moonbuilding and the new no sounds album I have enjoyed quite a bit, I have to say.

Seattle is weird for electronica. It breaks in two directions. All the big acts pass over Seattle (massive attack isnt getting closer than San Fran, orbital only came in 2010 as part of a new defunct city wide festival, underworld hasnt been through since 99, a local EDM promoter booked Carl cox for a big show and no-one bothered to see him), but the smaller acts I get to see in tiny venues with good crowds. Daniel Avery came through a tiny basement club, and now this will be twice I've seen the orb at tiny nightclubs locally.

Last edited by jetpig; 11-15-2018 at 10:46 AM.