View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Professor
this is bat country

Send a message via AIM to Professor
Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)
This is the best work I've heard from Underworld in a long time. Every track on Barking has its space on the album, and the whole damn thing makes me smile. I was just talking to BLD about how different people's reactions have been to it.... which totally surprises me, and also makes total sense. Barking to me, is both very mature, lyrically and musically, and also somewhat juvenile as well....a little hookey and catchy. It's both very smart and completely appealing to the lowest common denominating musical taste at the same time. I can see why it starts arguments.... great art usually does. There is such an evolution here musically for them... this album isn't really dark. It's not Dark and Long... it's ok.

Think of Doot Doot.... I think that song is just fantastic. Sure, it's poppy, and from a different decade...but it has staying power. Grace reminds me of this. So does Bird 1. So does Louisiana... in fact Louisiana is also a stand out track....and one that is getting severe polar reactions. It's so personal; I think if you are patient with this song, you might gain some insight into the artist. That's rare.

Diamond Jigsaw continues to make me giggle. No shit. I was on the bus and I just started giggling to myself... It's such a good song, and such a huge surprise. I was prepared to not like it. Any PVD essence is forgiven--in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my 2c.

Last edited by Professor; 09-02-2010 at 06:42 PM.