View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Important Message About Sarah Palin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
For me, I wonder how much of this sentiment is accurate, and how much is the result of anti-Obama rhetoric. I don't personally buy into the claims of Obama and Bush being the same. Yes, Obama is clearly more of a centerist and pragmatist than leftists and progressives would have liked, but to compare, say, Libya to either Iraq or Afghanistan (and don't get me wrong - I didn't want us to get involved in Libya), or the approaches to taxes, or the whole health care issue, or Don't Ask Don't Tell, etc. reveals pretty significant differences.

I just heard a piece on NPR about gay activists being frustrated that yes, there have been positive developments for them under Obama, but not as much as they want, so they're upset with him. I'm far more sick of people expecting that they should be getting everything they want instead of accepting that this is a nation of vastly differing views and beliefs, and that the compromise this necessitates means progress will always be slow. When one group is getting everything they want, then other groups are invariably getting nothing that they want. That's selfish and untenable to me.
yeah, sean, but nobody wants this corporate tied hawkish crap that we've had in every president since at least the first bush. pretty much everyone is tired of goverment getting involved in business (not regulation, bailouts), everyone is tired of invading other countries for no particular reason (oil), everybody is tired of corporate interests in washington, and finally everyone is tired of people claiming they have nothing to do with any of those things and getting tied up in it.

those things i listed above are common in both the campaign rhetoric of the democrats and the republicans, because that's how people feel. they want their rights back and they want their money to stop being sent to thieves and used to wage war against people we don't even understand. and we keep asking for it, and we believe every guy that comes along and says he's not those things— bush said it, obama said it, and they both are tied up in all of that garbage. yes, obama is on the left side of the aisle and is passing environmental and health care reform. but when it comes to how the government works and wastes everyone's money and wastes young peoples' lives, he's just like bush. and i don't think the republican candidate will be any different.