View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:17 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Electronic vs Rock music (live)
I'd say - normally, I'd rather see an electronic band over a rock band

as there just seems to be a higher likelihood of a communal vibe, and it's really rare that you encounter what are the stereotypical rock-crowds here in DC... you just stand in one place chainsmoking... and give glares at the people who - gasp - might actually be enjoying themselves!

and I find the rock bands who do nothing but stand still during the whole gig (only moving to grab another beer) just as obnoxious, if not moreso, than the electronic bands / performers who don't move away from their laptops

I also think it's much much harder for a rock band to really grab an audience than it is for an electronic act - basically going back to that whole communal aspect...

like... I don't really know how this is relevant overall - but anyways, it's a good story. So, I saw Moby on both his Area1 & Area2 Tours, during these tours he had a rather large band, yet still had a nice electronic feel with a loose-ness that you can get from a larger band with percussionists, et al (much improving their respective albums... seriously) -> then I saw him here in DC for the Hotel Tour, which not only was a low-key tour, it also had a stripped down, more 'rocky' band eirgo, all the songs were definitely more rock-vibed.

Well - in Area1, it was easy to get close to the stage, and there was a real sense of 'connectiveness' with him on stage (he'd even stop and chat with us) but at this Hotel Tour show, you couldn't move whatsoever. The only time I was able to move at all was... well a bit of a preface. This guy was (obviously) trying to impress his girl, and her friends - so he pushed forward knocking people over, to get them up front. All of the girls were obnoxiously overdressed (high heels and sequins). Then Moby starts playing "Natural Blues" at which, all the girls start getting excited - like "oh this is my favorite song" and start singing along.... until they realize that Moby's playing a very very very different version.... reeaaaalllly slow

-> meaning - they can't sing along to it... get pissy looks on their face, and start to aimlessly wander back a bit - allowing me + my friends to get closer to the stage

...and none of that would happen at an electronic show