View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 02:54 PM
lloyd
bungalow

Re: Dirty Radio playing an Underworld live set right now - what is it?
One of the reasons I called it 'hit song karaoke shows' (or something along that line) here on the boards years ago and lost interest in most of the new shows was just this. Although the improvs were perhaps 5% of a show, they made it for me. Although it's music out of a box like so many other electronic bands (for me it started with Front242, Nitzer Ebb, Nacht und Nebel etc), one could feel the human touch. I did make music, I know about quantizing in Cubase, how sequenzers work etc. But rick and darren were producing the songs on stage right in front of you. Choose different loops, different moments to merge in another sample while karl free styled over it. The pure genius that they magically made the tracks by tweaking a full size studio on stage. That made it substantial different from other bands for me.
I explained, by a sketch, to an elder co-worker who always called bands like underworld lazy talentless play button pushers, what did happen on stage. His conclusion after he got the grasp of what sampling was and how one can use it: So in fact, with ready made bits of music, they create the songs on the spot, there isn't a tape playing each evening, playing the same thing over and over again? That was underworld to me.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }