View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
sanakan
junkie-criminal-fugitive

Re: Comic Recomendations
my most favorite (well, perhaps second favorite, as nothing beats wattersons calvin & hobbes ) comics are by french artist marc-antoine mathieu. note that these are very different from american (DC-style) comics and mangas as mentioned above.
i like his comics for two things: the simple but yet detailed style of drawing, and the stories... it's hard to explain, but each of his book is mindboggingly astounding. with his ideas he even breaks the limitation of a "normal" comic. example?
- in one book there's a frame of the protagonist stating something along the lines of "it seems this has already happend". if you turn to the next page, you realize that this panes was acutally cut out and you've been reading it on the next page....
- he has written a whole comic with mirrored frames ("Le Début de la fin", the beginning of the end // the title on the back is "La fin du Début"..."): the whole thing is mirrored in the center of the book where the protagonist goes through a mirror. even the site-numbering is mirrored (begins as -32, goes to 0 in the middle of the book, then to +32)

on this german site you can find some sites from his book (click on the navigation at the left where it lists his titels "der ursprung" to "tote erinnerung").

my other favorite artists include the drawings of moebius and stories of jodorowsky who also write things to warp your brain