View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Determine Your Favorite Underworld Album - With SCIENCE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
found these kind of interesting. stagger is a beautiful track absolutely smeared by some poor lyrical choices, but that's just imo. i don't think we've talked much about it here

but Dino 3D. what a weird moment that was. the first sign that something was coming off the rails for me. the vocal treatment, the serviceable.. everything. the lyrics. such a dud track for me that i couldn't even hate it, it was just this lump in the middle of an album. didn't understand why it came all the way to us. seeing someone rate it highly makes me wonder if there's a different angle to it than the one i always assumed.
Funny, I didn't use to like Stagger much, thought it was a bummer way to end the album. But at some point, something about it clicked. It feels clautrophob and a bit dreaded, andi somehow relate. Tastes change with age.

Now, DA3D...I love this because it's a banger on a sometimes subdued record. Yeah, it's kind of a KOS retread, but I love that track and am fine with a relentless techno beast from time to time. Plus, when AHDO came out, I was doing a lot of 6-hour drives, and this record and Beaucoup Fish kept me alert and awake. Driving fast at night with Dino playing just seemed perfect.

Really, Underworld has scored so much of my adult life, I can't help but associate tracks with specific, personal memories.

Regarding Ess Gee and Blueski, and Santiago for that matter, I'm fine with Karl getting a little guitar noodling on record. He has such a textural sound and all of these tracks explore interesting takes on simple loops. I dunno, sometimes a breather in the middle is as good as a banger