View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Re: Twist (Music Bank Jam Take 7)
Several AHDO tracks sound SO MUCH BETTER live. I like that record but when you hear the contemporaneous live versions, it's like there could have been a very different version of that record; one that was a lot more spacious and brooding and yet also more lively.

Mo Move -- usually performed without the "I dream in chemical" lyric, extended drum solo. Haunting, expansive, epic. Yet on the album, it's tight as a drum.

Two Months Off -- well this always sounds the same, I'm honestly bored by this track.

Twist -- as demonstrated in this new download, a totally different song when played with Karl's dirty guitar and Rick's soaring synth stabs. Like Mo Move, the album version feels compact and restrained.

Sola Sistim - dunno if this was ever played live.

Little Speaker - they played this a bit on the Oblivion tour and it didn't really change IIRC.

Trim - they played a truly breathtaking version of this on the Peel broadcast that we heard also as a Lemonworld broadcast jam that I've always suspected was an early version. For the album, they tightened this up and made it a lot brighter. Didn't help IMO.

Ess Gee - don't think i've heard alt versions of this

Dinosaur Adventure 3D -- this was always a bit dubious, an obvious combo of Dark Train and King of Snake. But it sounded much more interesting live, with more elements and more chaos.

Ballet Lane - no alt version I know of.

Luetin - this was performed fairly faithfully.

So yeah, overall AHDO is IMO unnecessarily restrained and edited. Tracks like Twist, which on the album feels almost like an afterthought next to Two Months Off, become gorgeous and exciting. If they ever did a AHDO anniversary box, I'd love to hear more alternate takes like this.