View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Re: Oblivion with a Hundred RiverRuns Off
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
So this is essentially anything post-Emerson (probably beginning with Two Months Off in September 2002) through to before the release of Scribble (probably with Holding The Moth in December 2008). So we are looking at a six year+ period with 2 albums and 3 EPs. Pretty much the same amount of content as the UW mk II period. I think youre right to draw a line at that point. It feels as if something changed after that.
I think I'd put the cutoff date a little later - somewhere around the void in activity (as much as you can call it with Underworld) following the 2008 radio show? Quite a few of the tracks that made it on to Barking (ie "Moon In Water") were very much a part of this era prior to the involvement of the... *shudder*... guest producers.
Anyway I'm glad to see this period in Underworld's history getting some acknowledgment! Everything they did from AHDO onward has a unique sort of emotional intensity to it - as much as their first three albums were moving, tracks like Mo Move and Showlder have a much more "personal" quality to them. Actually that's how I'd describe much of their 2002-2008 output... personal. For me, anyway.
I'd say another signifying factor of this era would be their heavy use of internet distribution! Even ignoring the Riverruns, a sizable chunk of their output was in the form of random doodles they'd give away on their website, play on radio shows, or tease in their live sets. It gave it this brilliant offhand quality to work that was characteristically stunning.