View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Re: Guitarists on Dirty
I've been playing on and off for about 18 years and recently decided to get serious again. Currently I run with 3 guitars, I have a Takamine Acoustic, a Fender Strat 12 String, and an Elvis Costello model Fender Jazzmaster, and couldn't be more happy with anything else. My heroes growing up were Sonic Youth, The Cure and My Bloody Valentine and they all play Jazzys, as well as Lush, where the electric 12 string idea came from. I would've loved to have got a Rickenbacher 12 string but at $1200 less the Strat was a much better choice. It sparkles and shimmers with a touch of chorus or reverb and absolutely gets down with some distortion. It's imo the best choice for people that want an electric 12 but don't want to come 2 grand out of pocket.

For an amp I use a Vox AC30CP2 and it's a wonderful piece. It's a warm tube amp with beautiful coloring and channel 2 has got a load of bite. Currently though I'm using a Digitech GNX2 footpedal so I keep the amp mostly on the clean channel, though I intend very soon to write up a slew of clean patches that are just chorus, reverb and etc, and seeing how they sound with Vox's native distortion. The Digi tbh isn't the best footpedal I've used before so the less I have to rely on it, the better I'd assume.

I wouldn't consider myself god's gift to playing but I've been practicing hard lately and I'm getting back to where I used to be. My best friend started playing bass last year and is a natural at it and it's encouraged me to polish up as much as I can. So I guess to summarize, all of the above listed gear is a safe choice imo, except the footpedal. If anyone knows of any good multi-effects footpedals I'd be interested in hearing your opinion