View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 09:05 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
That was definitely going through my mind as I was trying to grind through the box set analysis, especially the new tracks. Trying to listen to and absorb all the new tracks was very much like listening to a new album for the first time. And it was in stark contrast to the way we got all the other tracks, getting a week to digest it by itself on its own merits and then evaluate it again later as part of a larger collection, and then maybe within the context of a curated collection (the sampler).
A question I kept asking myself as I was trying to sequence an alternate album out of all this was if it made sense on the continuum of previous underworld albums. was it something I’d expect from them after not hearing a thing in 3 years, and not just “dubman’s favorite tracks” (even though it was absolutely kind of that). I already knew most of these inside out, so trying to dissolve parts of that familiarity to make my best plausible underworld album of 2019 took pretty much all day.
“Big bear can’t be second. I know you wanna hear it ASAP but big bear’s not a second-track track. It’s a punchy number in the last third”
“You WILL have a long middle one and you WILL make it flow right on either side of it. Now step back and see if it makes actual sense with the rest”
“I know you thought Seven Drone Music would be the perfect closer but it’s not quite closing. It needs a short... something... to bring it over. Like what ‘Witness’ does in Lovely Broken Thing”
ALL. DAY.
I got there though.

...I think

Last edited by dubman; 11-03-2019 at 09:09 AM.