View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 07:38 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: DRIFT Episode 5 "GAME"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
One more change I noticed is the end of Give Me the Room. There are some stereo differences, and it's deliberate because the stereo imaging is the same in the rest of the song.

In the film version, starting at about 6:30, the high bleeping line that comes in has a strong left channel presence through the end of the song. On the EP version, it's been centered much more. Also, Karl's looped vocal fragment that comes in at about 8:00 also has a strong left channel bias in the video version. In the EP that's been moved to a mild right channel bias.
So, I A-B'd this track a little more carefully, and I noticed several additional subtle differences. The chirping noise that comes in at 0:50 has a different pattern throughout its appearances between the YouTube version and the EP/album version. It's really easy to miss, and I almost had to map out the pattern to realize it was different in a lot of places.

On the EP version, the kick drum takes a two measure break at 1:53, while the YouTube version powers through.

On the EP version, a chuffing sound begins gradually fading out at around 6:35. On the YouTube version, it continues full strength until the string comes in at 6:51.

On the EP version, the string sound at 6:51 fades out much sooner at about 7:02. On the YouTube version, it continues until about 7:45.

I think the YouTube version must be an earlier version with the EP being a later, more refined version.