View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: Dutch on verge of getting most right wing government in the EU, in dutch history
Quote:
Originally Posted by human151
So it seems we are at an impasse.
It would seem so, given statements like this...
Quote:
You would be perfectly fine with the U.K., and Europe as a whole, one day emulating a middle eastern country.
Are you actually reading what I'm writing?
Emulating in what way?
Which middle eastern country?

Quote:
Do you really think that most pakistani immigrants to England, for example, consider themselves British? Or, do they still consider themselves Pakistani?
Both, depending on what you ask.

Nationally, British.
Ethnically, Pakistani, unless they're mixed race.
Culturally... a bit of both.

I'm guessing you'll be uncomfortable with that response, that it won't satisfy your craving for a straightforward, unambiguous, "with-us-or-against-us" single word answer. You may even think I'm wriggling out of the question. I'm not; it's what I genuinely observe to be the case. Not everyone feels a need to structure their identity according to one side or the other.

I'm an Englishman living in Wales / a Welshman born in England. If anyone asks me a stupid question like "what do you consider yourself" (it's stupid because what does it actually mean?) then I'll answer that I consider myself both English and Welsh. If that complexity makes their brain shortcircuit, then that's just too bad. They can always go recover by watching John Wayne shoot some Indians and Arnie punch some Middle Eastern terrorists.

Last edited by Deckard; 01-25-2011 at 10:04 AM.