View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: animal collective / 'freak folk' / manitoba etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
1. i don't at all disagree that making and experiencing music can be like religion in nature. music must be the artform that most readily touches that kind of transcendence. but i find it annoying (or problematic at worst) when the content of the music necessarily points to our conscious notions of what "religion" is, as if transcendent music weren't inherently "religious" to begin with. obviously it's their prerogative if they want to use chanting and other primitivist sounds to channel these feelings, but it's all sort of cloying and obvious IMO. i don't think there's something inherently wrong with it, but the New Age echoes of all this gaia stuff aren't to my taste at all, and for me only ensure that the semi-conscious/whatever religion in the music gets in my way.
so basically you're saying its just not your cup of tea? so cool. Beyond that I have a few problems with what you're saying. HOw can it be a problem hearing a particular kind of religious quality when we agreee experiencing music can be religious in nature? This is kind falls flat when you take away the first premise of your argument: you don't like animal collective. I happen to know from previous conversations that you appreciate the music of bach, which you must understand emotes the kind of religiousity that only someone with his religious sentiments could create. other artists evoke different religious principles. BUT ALL OF THIS is irrelevant because I never said Animal Collective is shooting for a religious experience. I never read that anywhere. That's completely my own reaction to the music, independent of any desired effect. Which means I can pretty much say it as much as I want. Its not a math equation, its art.

Quote:
2. i'm not sure what being a pretentious artist has to do with pandering to a crowd. i know plenty of pretentious artists who could not care less about pandering to anyone.
??!! what is your definition of "prententious?" I consulted google and got this to come up on top....

making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction

which implies observation, which implies the existence of audience. what definition are you using?

- Mark Twain