View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Re: Electronic vs Rock music (live)
I tend to agree with electronic over rock gigs for the overall live experience, having seen very many of both over the years. Maybe it is because, in general, for dance acts, people are there to party (and very often aren't even bothered whether they can even see the stage or not as long as the sound and the vibe is good), whereas for rock acts they are more likely to be there to listen/watch.

Sure, you can get a good vibe from a rock gig but as Dirty 0900 pointed out, you often get quite a bad vibe in the crowd too -there doesn't seem to be any solidarity or cohesion among the audience, just "I'm here to watch the band, stay out of my face and don't spill my beer."

Last year I took a friend to the last Orbital gig in London. She had never been to an electronic gig/rave before and she was absolutely astounded by the warmth and respect shown by the audience to each other, which she had never experienced at any other gig she had been to.

I dunno the extent to which this is caused by the fact that the drug of choice for electronic/dance crowds tends to be eccies, though.