View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: is there anyone else who is pro-life AND pro-gay rights, or is it just me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
One other thing I think should be addressed is that marriage is a religious institution, not a state one or civil one or federal one or whatever.
I'm calling bullshit on this. what is your source? What have you read and can cite that can support this claim? You're conveniently forgetting the massive economic and political vectors that have shaped the institution of marriage. Ever read a jane austin novel?

I've never once heard about marriage as a way of getting helpless women out of harm, and i've heard lots of stories about marriage being power strategies between families. And sometimes even love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
but I would say one of the best arguments against it would be to say it's not necessary
You're the one not reading posts, mate.

Gay marriage is the holy grail, no, the emancipation proclamation for gay people. Nothing else will give them an equal status.

Spelled out.

1. marriage is a public ceremony. A covenant is created between the couple and society. The couple accepts certain expectations of behavior from society (IE not fucking other people's spouses), and the couple is given certain privileges from society.

2. homosexuality lacks social acceptance as a form of coupling.

3. gay marriage therefore is the public acceptance of their coupling and therefore of being gay categorically.

QED

- Mark Twain

Last edited by Strangelet; 07-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.