View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 06:01 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: collectors' corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Oh, interesting, I didn't realize that existed. It looks like they chopped up and trimmed the track order. I would've maybe considered getting it if the price weren't so exorbitant. It looks like that bootleg label put out another UW vinyl of bootleg remixes too:

https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-U...elease/2187074
Bootleg Babies was such a quality production, I can see why it'd be a sought after collectible. But it's lame that someone is trying to profit from it.
Boots have been traded and sold forever, and I guess no one but the original artist has the rights to the music. Traders etiquette suggests you don't sell and many artists are cool with the hardcore fans trading. But this one, bootleg Babies, was more of a fair use recreation of a gig. Lots of effort and expertise. I guess if anything is on the internet, it's impossible to preserve intellectual property or control distribution.

Around 2001 when I found this forum (well, the old version) and was really discovering the band, I downloaded all the fan remixes and burnt them to CDR. Can't say it was a great hi fi listening experience. Now they're on vinyl, so the pops and clicks accentuate the low bitrate glitches! My own AVID remixes from that time, using freeware and dubious techniques have appeared....cool to say they're on vinyl, but again, who would pay for this? I guess if you were just discovering the band like I did 20 years ago, you'd be excited to hear something rare and you wouldn't know their free origins. 5 seconds on Google should tell you something about the obscurity of those remixers!

Last edited by holden; 04-23-2021 at 06:05 AM.