View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM
purlieu
enofa

Re: Underworld Electronica contemporaries
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Your bringing up LoFi Allstars reminds me of another band that had it's moments: Apollo 440. They had some pop/cheese big beat tracks, but also moments of ambient beauty.
I enjoy their first two albums a lot: they're definitely going for daft rock-infused dance music in places, but there are also plenty of great pure electronic moments, particularly on Electro Glide in Blue - 'Vanishing Point' and 'Stealth Mass' are superb. They totally blew it on Gettin' High on Your Own Supply for me though, a really nasty mess of embarrassing faux-rock posturing and brick-wall compressed breakbeat. One of the ugliest albums I've ever owned. Kind of put me off them, although admittedly Dude Descending a Staircase has some nice moments.

The Orb were fantastic in the '90s, and I think Cydonia is underrated (although nowhere near as good as the earlier albums). Since then I've either found their stuff really uninspired, or simply not my kind of thing: Okie Dokie is a fine Kompakt-style minimal / dub techno record, but I'm not fond of that sound - the much more ambient focused Baghdad Batteries and Chill Out, World are pleasant but hardly the in the same league as their early epics. The Dream is a gorgeously produced album with some great tracks that would probably be up there with the earlier stuff without all the unnecessary vocals in the first half. Bicycles & Tricycles, the David Gilmour collab and that new one I find mostly just really pointless.