View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 AM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

Re: Manchester Street Poem
Managed to see Fatherland on Friday, I thought it was a compelling and thought provoking set of stories, very in the Karl Hyde mold of cut up and found work. The theatre was a great stage (its a theatre in the round - so has its own quirks with regards to staging) and had a central revolving plinth where most of the story is told - no spoilers - but you do get to see a younger 'Karl' and his 'dad'. Didn't see him but Karl was there that night - his dad was attending on the Saturday, - no spoilers - but it would be an odd experience if you were Karls dad.

How do I know Karl was there, managed to get to the Manchester Street Poem no the Saturday at 4pm. He was not there, but due back after his appearance in Stoller Hall. He turned up about 4.15 and we managed to spend about 15 minutes with him before it got really busy (they limit who can go in at any one time) and he became busy with 'work' and satisfying the public who want pictures and a slice of his time - like we did.

He seemed very genuine, asking out opinion of Fatherland and talking about his time in Manchester and with the Manchester International Festival team. I asked when he will be moving to Manchester (he spends a lot of time here from his posts on Social Media) and he replied "when Essex lets me go".

If you get a chance, go and see the Manchester Street Poem, you'll get to see him up close and personal, maybe get to chat with him. Importantly you'll get to see and read the words that he's laying down. Homelessness is not something I have suffered and the words he's writing are those of the interviewees, a sad and sickening portrayal of life in the underclass of society. This is not a beggars treaty, its not about "spare me change for a cuppa" (with a Manc accent), its real people in real social situations.

As ever, I had my camera with me, so I'll back this post up with some pictures when I get round to it.

He's auctioning off each days t-shirt in aid of the charity, its just a white t-shirt with paint on it, and his DNA (for those stalkers out there, or people with access to the Dolly the Sheep technology)

He signed my copy of the Fatherland soundtrack. I asked what would be happening with the Street Poem soundtrack - there are NO plans to publish this, but it was good stuff, some a mix of Interview material, and some ambient works akin to some of the Lemonworld noodling. It was all good, some real chillout material from Rick. I'd love a copy Karl / Rick with a big donation to the Street Poem appeal.