View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 07:48 AM
purlieu
enofa

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoleman99 View Post
8 ball was included on the 1992-2012 release, so it was redundant.
So were Rez, Spikee, Dark Train and Oich Oich, but they ended up on the first two sets. Not to mention that the 1992-2012 is out of print physically.

Some thoughts...

Nifter - Nice little piece.
Bruce Lee 1st Dobro - Nice energetic remix, enjoyed the bizarre jazz skronk elements, but overall it's not that different to the original. Would have preferred something that was a halfway point between this and the final Dobropet.
Orange Bed - They really liked this beat, didn't they? Nice mix of Kittens, Mama and Pens with new words. All the final versions of those are much better than this, but it's another chance to hear their fascinating working process.
Skym Nov 97 - Really don't like this version. Very undeveloped and lacking any atmosphere.
Jumbo Diff Bass - There's a lovely alternate universe where this was the a-side to CD2 of the single, and we had a new track (or drastically different version) in its place here. It's a nice version.
Push Upstairs Alt - Early version of The Large Unit. I like the synth stabs that come in halfway through and the really weird stuff in the string breakdown. It's a very rough mix though, which makes is kinda hard to listen to. "I say chaps!" - lovely.
King of Snake Garage Mix - Well this was a lot of fun. I expected it to be closer to the version that they put online years ago, but was pleasantly surprised. Great to hear how far this track came over the years. Obviously not a patch on the final version, but different enough to enjoy on that merit alone. For me, the Barking Mix is still the final, perfect incarnation of KoS.
Something Like a Mama Alt - "Ah, an extended version" I thought, until it all started going a bit mental. Enjoyed this a lot, went in a lot of very strange directions.
Please Help Me - Same as ever.
Yeah Plan - Ok this is very different. Not like anything else I've heard from the BF sessions. Would love to know where this could have gone. Those synths near the end are lovely.
Ramajama - MORE LIKE THIS PLEASE.
Remixes - meh.

Overall definitely an enjoyable set of tracks on disc 2, and it's much more interesting than the demo sets a lot of deluxe edition get saddled with. Frankly we've been spoiled with the earlier sets, particularly the Dubnobass one, so this in itself is decent. That said, given what we know is out there, and the fact it can only be got through buying the super-deluxe 4CD set (/digital equivalent), it's still a bit of an underwhelming collection.

There must be a good reason why they didn't include any more completely unheard tracks, although unless they're planning a FSOL / Aphex style archive dump, then I can't work out what it is.