View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 05:38 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions
I love to read all these UW origin stories! The abridged version of mine:

First Exposure via compilation CDs (1996- 1999)- MTV Amp, Plastic, Urbal Beats, GrooveRadio, etc

First UW album purchased: (2002): "Everything, Everything"; i recognized the songs, and also needed a pick-me-up after a disastrous improv comedy audition. Came home depressed, mood lifted all night with listens. Who were these guys? Need to learn more!

First Studio album purchased - "Beaucoup Fish". I liked the singles, and a fan recommended it as best in their fledgling catalog. Yes, six hour car-rides with "Jumbo" bass, etc. I get into that back catalog, and have fond memories of sundown with "dubno", cranking the poorly mixed volume on "STITI" at midnight...

2002 - join dirty forums, download all free stuff, fan remixes, create remixes, and abuse grad lab's ethernet allowance connecting to RTSR FTP site to get past/latest shows.

2002 - first LP release anticipated as a "Fan" released..."ansum", er AHDO. Subject it to family and friends. Scour ebay for import singles. Find inspiration in "footwear Repairs" VHS (as does artist father!).

2003-2006: All those radio shows, and RiverRun!

2007 - finally see UW in NY at Central Park!

2010 - is "Good Day Today" by UW? Nope. But i enjoyed the speculation, and the eventual remix.

Every release and project from ~2002 to present, i've been here for, enjoyed the debate, and while some tracks i like more or less, i've never been disappointed. Yeah, that early period of discovery and compulsive searching is probably my favorite period, but thanks to Rick, Karl, the Darrens, and you... it's been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I'm glad it's still going, the band is still inspiring.

Last edited by holden; 03-01-2019 at 06:30 PM.