View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 08:15 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: The Prodigy announce new single/new album
I thought that 'Ghost Town' was actually supposed to be on AONO (not that it was a FOTL track), plus - Tricky's version came out in '95... and they played it live a few times during that weird period when the AONO was supposed to come out (but didn't).

I could be mis-remembering (it's easily been 10 years since I've heard the recordings), but I think "Ghost Town" used to transition into "Medusa's Path"

Plus, I’d say that “Back 2 Skool” was an AONO song (not FOTL), b/c it was used on their website to promote the original version of the album.

...and as far as "Climbatize" ... I'm a bit confused about your timeline:

"Liam met with Perry who asked them to play Lollapalooza at the time. Sadly, their schedule was full with writing the new album and shows they already booked. Liam had to turn him down, so Perry responded by telling him he couldn't do the track."

...because the Prodigy actually did headline Lolla in 1997*
(* I remember wanting to go back then, but I had no chance - as I was 14, and I don't think it toured anywhere near where I lived)

FOTL was/is also my favorite album of theirs, but I think something happened to Liam/the band that just fundamentally shifted their confidence (and their sound) around '99 / '01. I mean - there were several songs recorded (and even played live) for AONO, which still haven’t been released, including: another Kool Keith song, Gun (Reprise), Nuclear, Benny Blanco, No Souvenirs… just off the top of my head. The original “Shoot Down” is also leaps and bounds better than the released version.

(edit)
also, thanks for mentioning "Carmen Queasy" - I totally forgot about that track! Just popped it onto my iPhone

Last edited by joethelion; 09-10-2018 at 08:22 AM.