View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
ThingInABook
vision

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
hello, i came to float.

in fact, i decided to appear today cos i got my book+cd version yesterday (i used to wait months for my underworld records and now...). when i opened the mailer, the first thing i read was:

"written & recorded in Essex & Chile"

look at that. my fave band recorded in my home country and i had no idea. i was totally freaking out. look at me, a regular adult hugging a record somewhere in montreal. so yeah, when i got back home, i realized that the things i used to point and laugh from the record (the luna, luna, luna lyrics and the "santiago cuatro" name) made loads of sense.

The "luna, luna, luna/in love with" in If Rah might be a direct translation of the chrous of this song:

luna, luna, luna/tu sabes que la quiero (moon, moon, moon/you know i love her)

so yeah, this is a popular song in chile, i think it's played in every party. i know the lyrics by heart, i'm not joking. it's an old saund song (saund is the phonetic pronunciation of the word "sound", which was popular genre of tropical music during the '90s) and some people even chant the chorus when they see a full moon (me included). probably karl overheard the lyrics somewhere.

also, i said during my rants in twitter of how much i dislike Barbara, Barbara that Santiago Cuatro sounds like a Nueva Musica Chilena/Neofolklor track, cos it honestly sounds like that. oh yeah, another coincidence.

i think i've overlooked Barbara for what it is. i think i'm gonna sit down, shut up and listen the thing during the weekend.