View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: 2010-10-06 Zepp Osaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose m View Post
guys....there just aren't enough fans around these days that share your views imo (check out facebook and gig reviews for a positive view or for an alternative, the amount of us that get involved on here ! )
i get the feeling that this is an end of the road in someway though, maybe those seated theatre shows are the next development, a "dubnobass/2nd toughest" tour like the primals upcoming "screamadelica" tour or "an intimate evening with smith & hyde" with live painting,poetry and fizzy pop ?????
in the meantime,why not stop checking out the setlists and then any show you see you'll still have the surprise you want?
All my opinions are from a superfan pov. All my concerns are thus, from this pov.

I would LOVE to have UW bill the first show of a 2-night set as 'only ambient songs' or 'only bsides' or whatever. I'd be in heaven.

Now, They Might Be Giants (weird comparisson but go with me) announce the format for each show they are going to do. Living near NYC, ive seen them live dozens of times and not a single show has been the same. Not remotely. They play small venues, play gigs in clusters (like last saturday of each week for the entire month), and do the following:

Sat 1: Entire Album X, + some random songs
Sat 2: No repeats at all between Sat 2 and Sat 3
Sat 3: No repeats at all between Sat 2 and Sat 3
Sat 4: Two part show, first half just the two founders and a beatbox, second part full band.

The point being, they aim smaller, and offer a huge variety. They get multiple attendees because the show is always different. When there arent enough fans, aim smaller and more intimate. Give reasons to get the remaining fans to go more often.

I loved that Underworld shows were always different. Its why i started collecting their bootlegs.