View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 AM
matt
old man einstein

Re: the girl with the dragon tattoo
Already up for a remake by Hollywood into an English language version.

However, the great news is David Fincher is interested in directing and it would star fantastic British actress Carey Mulligan.

I haven't read the books and know lots of people who love them. However one of my mates (who generally likes the same kinds of books as me) had this to say about it in an email to me:

Quote:
I'm about halfway through this now, and it's really properly tragically terrible. This is a bigger scam than Harry Potter. This bloke makes JK Rowling, or even Matthew Reilly seem like Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

There are two main characters; the journalist that the author wishes he was, and most hilariously the highly complex 24-year-old woman whose been the victim of a lifetime of abuse and misunderstanding. The middle-aged Swedish bloke telling the story has absolutely no fuckin idea how to create such a character with any credibility. Instead she's a bland cliched one-dimensional robot. He might as well stop wasting his time trying to portray her through narrative and just say "You know Lisbeth, the herione, she is like totally complex. Like just bonkers complex. Take my word for it". It'd be more convincing and less ham-fisted than "she's got piercings and tattoos and is into computers".

And it's just so fuckin boring. And I don't just mean that nothing has happened (even though fuck all has), there's just a total lack of atmosphere or tension or feeling. Characters don't develop, they just occur.

"Hello, I'm Mikael"
"Won't you come in?"
"OK"
"Would you like some veal cutlets in a cream sauce with beets"
"OK"
"Shall we have sex now. We've known each other 15 minutes, after all?"
"OK"

"That was awesome. I am totally in love with you now"
"OK"

I mean, I know these people are Swedish but for fuck's sake!!!

AND ANOTHER THING, I know some people get pissy about product placement in films, but IF THIS CUNT MENTIONS APPLE COMPUTERS ONE MORE TIME I AM GOING TO TEAR THE FUCKIN BOOK IN HALF.

If ever there's a case where the film will surpass the book, this has to be it.
Is he OTM or way off?

Last edited by matt; 03-18-2010 at 01:38 AM.