View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Strange anger at Obama for Tuesday speech to schools
So I participated in a poll on facebook today that asked in regards to Obama's speech planned for next Tuesday: "Should President Obama be allowed to do a nationwide address to school children without parental consent?" I voted "yes". The speech is about staying in school, working hard, and exercising personal responsibility. Super! (Incidentally, vote here. Amazingly, the "yes" column is losing badly to the "no" column) So once I voted, I added a comment to the thread attached to the poll. I wrote:

"Why in the world shouldn't the President of the United States be able to address schoolchildren about staying in school and working hard? Was there an outcry when Nancy Reagen spoke directly to American youth about her "just say no" policy? I don't remember one. There is definitely a portion of the country that seems to be going insane with blind, irrational vitriol at Obama, and it disgusts me. This isn't a political speech, it's not an indoctrination of anyone...it's not malicious in any way!

As for some of the comments here, I have to say that I'm floored. Here's one quote:

"when i hear about all the dumb shit that obama is doing like birth control and abortion without parental consent, im like 'this is sick!'"

First off, this person is clearly ignorant about things like "facts" and "reality". Secondly, what do either of these issues have to do with a speech about staying in school and getting a good education?

Idiots."

Moments later, I got a private message through facebook from a guy who opposes the speech, and we went back and forth a few times. I thought some of you might appreciate a glimpse into his mind. So here's the exchange:

Richard Austin McGrath September 4 at 11:33am
It's OUR job to teach OUR kids to be good citizens. Now be honest, if Bush did this you would have come unglued. This is not just a five minute "hey kids be good and stay in school" speech, It's upwards of an hour long, this is about image building in our children's young minds. Again just be honest and admit you don't mind because it's in you party's favor, I'd have more respect for you if you did, oh that's right, you don't want my respect! And before you go painting me as a neocon, I'm actually an independent.

Sean Mullen September 4 at 11:43am
I'm a registered independent, so I have no vested interest in the Democrats or Republicans. In fact, I voted for Bush over Gore, and over Kerry. In hindsight I would not have voted that way if I had it to do over again, but there it is. So if Bush was set to give a speech urging "students to take personal responsibility for their own education, to set goals, and to not only stay in school but make the most of it", then I'd be all for it. Incidentally, the quote about the speech's content I just provided was from the same website that will be hosting the text of the speech a full day before it happens so that parents CAN know what to expect, and CAN teach their kids to be good citizens. Here's the link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/My-Education-My-Future/

The rabid opposition to this speech has absolutely zero justification.

Richard Austin McGrath September 4 at 12:06pm
Maybe he should do this in the evening hours when parents can decide weather or not to have there kids watch, and if they do, address what he says right then? Again this enables him to get at the kids who's parents who would let them play video games all night instead of watching it, and for the purpose of image building, just like when your a kid and dad always cheers for the university of Michigan, when you grow up...you do too!

Sean Mullen September 4 at 12:19pm
Well, we have yet to see the text of the speech, but again, all reports are that the content is specifically geared towards telling "students to take personal responsibility for their own education, to set goals, and to not only stay in school but make the most of it". That's as non-partisan a message as I can imagine, so it leaves those of us who have no problem with it no other choice but to think that this vehement opposition must be based on something other than the speech itself. And based on your reply here, I can see that your concern seems to be built around some kind of indoctrination scenario. You make comments like that this "enables him to get at the kids", which implies a predatory angle to the speech, and you make the analogy about cheering the University of Michigan as if the speech will be trying to recruit future Democrats. What's most striking to me about both these examples is that neither has anything to do with what's actually set to happen. What exactly is wrong with the President of our country encouraging children to exercise personal responsibility, stay in school and get a good education?

Richard Austin McGrath September 4 at 12:24pm
My job.

Sean Mullen September 4 at 4:01pm
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean when you just say "my job". You chose to start this conversation, so it would be great if you could at least participate with complete thoughts and sentences. All I know is that you wrote to me with assumptive accusations that I was some liberal thoughtlessly towing the party line, and then immediately followed it up by telling me that it would be wrong for me to try painting you as something you're not. Hypocritical much? Then you listed a bunch of completely unrelated examples about how this speech will somehow undermine parent's ability to properly educate their children - as if any parent out there would be upset by their children hearing the message to stay in school, work hard, and take personal responsibility for their actions. Maybe that's not something you want your children to hear, but I find it to be a positive, constructive message.

If however, by "my job", you mean that it's your job to teach your children about working hard, staying in school and exercising personal responsibility, then let me ask - are you equally undermined by school guidance counsellors when they meet with your children in your absence, and encourage them to keep these same principles in mind? Are you upset when a speaker comes to your children's school in your absence - say perhaps a police officer - to talk to the kids about the importance of being a law abiding citizen? How about any of the other people who interact with your children throughout any given day away from you at school? I would assume you are, because this is really no different. Seems like that kind of anger would end up being all-consuming since it happens all the time.

Here's what I would do with my kids. When the text of the speech is released on Monday, I would read it, probably even with my children. Then I would talk with them about it - talk about what's going to be said, what I feel they need to keep in mind while they listen, and answer any questions they have. On Tuesday evening, after the speech, I'd talk with them again. Answer any new questions they might have. None of that would compromise my ability to fulfill my parental duties. And honestly, I would probably feel most compelled to talk about the obvious sociological ramifications of this unfounded, irrational opposition we're seeing to our President conveying such a universally positive message. Because even the mind of a child would immediately question vitriol that's so illogical in nature, and frankly, I think I would have a hard time explaining it. Me: "Well son, they don't want the President encouraging you to stay in school." My son: "But...shouldn't I stay in school?" Me: "Well yes, of course, but opponents don't want Obama saying that to you." My son: "Why not?" Me: "I have no clue."

Look Richard, I'm not one to go straight to accusing opponents of this speech of things like racism, because that's an incredibly serious charge. But it's hard not to entertain that and other unrelated motives as playing some part here in the absence of any reasonable, logical arguments as to why we should oppose this speech. Feel free to message me if you ever come up with a coherent, realistic reason as to why this speech is such an outrage, but if all you have to offer is more unfounded accusations against me, and conspiracy theories about indoctrination fears, then I'm really not interested.

No idea if he'll reply to that last one or not, but there's what's happened so far.