View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
beh
CLT

Re: Happy Birthday
I have my own story. First all, 3/6 in the European release date, not North America, it was later. Ten years ago tomorrow (3/11), I moved from North Carolina, where I lived for all my life (Charlotte growing up, Chapel Hill [college: UNC] the rest), to the Bay Area (Palo Alto), CA. I remember a few weeks later, still new to the whole California thing, driving to the Tower in Mt View to get the new Blur album, 13, the day it came out. I picked up my copy and rounded the corner -- the end display was a selection of limited edition, pre-release BF CDs (it was a cardboard fold out, not a jewel case like the normal release). I immediately grabbed a copy, what a surprise!

At that time, I had dubno and STITI, was a big fan, and knew BF's regular release was still a few weeks away.

Well, I decided to put BF in the CD player on the way home instead of 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
When "Cups" transitions into the techno workout in the final minutes, i still get chills.
I still vividly remember hearing the transition in Cups right when I was turning out of the parking lot onto El Camino Real and thought, "holy shit, this is incredible!". I still get the chills!

But looking back on my early CA times (was only briefly in Palo Alto before moving to SF), this moment is very prevalent of my time there. When I hear that transition, I still recall this moment.

Good times, good memories. Happy annivesary to me and BF!
Brad

PS. I saw Underworld for the first time a few weeks later. 4/29/99 - Warfield, SF, CA.

PPS. I still remember Scott Warner's review of BF on the front page of dirty.org, with the free Kittens mp3.

Last edited by beh; 03-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.