View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

Re: Happy Birthday
Oh my golly! Is it really 10 years? Yes it is. 1999, on a personal level, was a bit of a renaissance year for me, in the sense that I finally embraced what it was to be me, rather than a false impression of what I thought I should be.

From firstly hearing Steve Lamacq on radio 1 playing KoS prior to its release, and then the whole cd at my local HMV, and finally the concentrated listen on the headphones at Virgin Records Oxford. I totally fell in love with this cd. A lad was patiently waiting me for me to finish listening in Virgin - as the final notes of Jumbo faded, I surrendered the headphones to him and simply said "absolutely fabulous!"

There are just so many great moments - the end of Cups, where it transcends from a chilled track to full-on techno, Push Upstairs - just full-on again (the boyfriend blonde), Jumbo is just beauty personified, Skym and Something like a Mama are just so deliciously sinister (real eastern european fairy tales) - and not to mention the utterly beautiful cover - the sooo deep blue background with the almost astronomical white circles.

Utter genius. Let's not forget that it was nominated for a Mercury