Thread: Poor kid
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

Re: Poor kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Here's a question: Is that a good thing?

Much as I'd be disgusted by any business that said something like "no blacks", should it be enforced by legislation?

And moving away from innate attributes like race and sex, why should religious affiliation be protected by that legislation, but not political affiliation?

I don't know whether it is good or not. I would think that according the value system of the US in that it bases it's principals on equality, then yes it is a good thing that legislation exists to protect it.

On the other hand, if you have a have a business that is say... a gynecological practice that is run by all women and cater to women who don't want to be naked in front of men doctors, then it seems perfectly acceptable to have a sign that says "no men".

I am not sure about the last part either because there could be a no line between political party and religion. Like for instance here in Morocco, there is no line. Politics and religion are one in the same, which is a different way to do things than in Western Democracies.

So, perhaps the answer then would be that I think that political parties should be protected too. However, I don't think that the US would ever allow something like that because then an idea other than their version of Democracy could become so popular that it becomes a threat.