Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The RiverRun Project - 10 years later (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18217)

Caprice 11-09-2015 08:32 AM

The RiverRun Project - 10 years later

10 years ago today Lovely Broken Thing came out.

It's been about 10 years since I listened to this series so when I learned of the timing I was a bit perplexed so decided to share. I went on a musical journey outside of electronic music and I recently returned back to it thanks to this series. I listened to them a lot when they first came out then buried the tracks under countless folders and harddrive backups. I've recently gone back to school and in the process learned I need cathartic calming music that has such peculiar rhythm and rhyme that it is completely unique.
I remembered the feelings I craved and the RiverRun series came to mind so I found it on a drive I backed up a year ago.

This music is truly unique and beautiful and so poetic, its very inspiring and soothing at the same time. The mere fact the track lengths are the side of a 33 tells you they want you to put it on when you got time to enjoy it.

Pizza for Eggs was my favorite back in the day, which I'm still partial to, but the other 3 have grown on me in such mature ways. It's interesting blasting them in the car now, because they go and go and the tempos and keys are so brilliant. I didn't appreciate the production as much back then because I hadn't worked in the industry yet and I didn't know what good really sounded like. But the production is excellent, Underworld is setting a standard in this arena but they did it so lo-key and today it is the way the industry is heading: highly well made tracks available at the click of a button or press of the screen.

I think what makes this series and indeed Underworld's catalog so enduring is the style and composure and production of the music. I listened to a lot of music in the past 10 years, and still haven't found anything compared to this. In the RiverRun series, Underworld shows they know exactly the image of a song and know that normal song rules don't apply. The track is the image of the sounds and the sounds they pick are so unique. So bizarre I got back into this series almost 10 years to the day before.

I would really like this series on vinyl and maybe someday that will happen. But as of now I'll keep playing them, and letting them take me on a journey.

negative1 11-09-2015 10:50 AM

Re: The RiverRun Project - 10 years later

I agree, this was probably the last best thing they have done.

Have all the vinyl 12 series, and most of the promo cds.

Hope they return to this style someday.

Later

Bargo 11-09-2015 10:59 PM

Great post. I agree with both of you completely.

For me personally, I'm a Big Sister.. is the best thing they've ever done. When the 'these are the rails' sample arrives at the ~26 minute mark, it just all ties everything together so perfectly and I get goosebumps. Every damn time.

potatobroth 11-10-2015 05:58 AM

This doesn't get anywhere near as much play by me as it should. It's raining in nyc today - time to crank up some 'vision, c'mon.'

kontakt1968 11-10-2015 06:25 AM

This thread made me listen to the riverrun again after quite a while and what a treat!
I agree wonderful and innovative works has it really been this long since they released them..wow
If they carry on in the remastering / re-releasing we may have a nice box set to look forward to in 10 years time....
I think i have 5 vinyl releases and a few promos, of course there was the japan only ancient phat farm I never got arggg.

negative1 11-10-2015 08:29 AM

<P>&lt;P&gt;
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontakt1968 (Post 159154)
This thread made me listen to the riverrun again after quite a while and what a treat! I agree wonderful and innovative works has it really been this long since they released them..wow If they carry on in the remastering / re-releasing we may have a nice box set to look forward to in 10 years time.... I think i have 5 vinyl releases and a few promos, of course there was the japan only ancient phat farm I never got arggg.

Heard it recently.

Pm me.

Later

jetpig 11-10-2015 11:57 AM

Pizza for Eggs has been my favorite of the three, but the other two are very very close behind them. always gorgeous listens on drowsy mornings.

holden 11-10-2015 06:46 PM

2005-06 was a fine time for our favorite band. Lots of new tracks appearing live, radio shows, and of course RiverRun. I remember how much I anticipated each release, and wasn't disappointed. Love em all, probably IABS most for the warm ambience, though the paranoid vocals and rhythms of PFE, the hard edge of LBT...they still excite. I've mixed all three together for an immersive 80+ minute experience. About time to listen again!

philth 11-12-2015 03:47 AM

Lovely timely reminder of this series of releases. Going to listen to them while I work this afternoon.

Disappointed with myself though that I seem to only have them in low quality via cloud storage (iTunes!). I'd love to get the full quality downloads again but the accounts we used to have on UnderworldLive seem to be long gone. :(

Maybe they'll release them one day. Digital files. Flick of a switch. We live in hope.

stimpee 11-13-2015 04:34 AM

2005-2006 was a great time to be an Underworld fan. The 3 hour shows they did, and the RiverRun and lots of new tracks and never the same show twice. Online pioneers selling it thru their own site. A lot of the tracks from Oblivion With Bells also got played out. Its a shame that its digital only and never got a physical release. There were plenty of remixes and one of my favourites is the Misterons mix. Definitely time for a re-evaluation and audit to see what we were left with.