Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Underworld - Brilliant Yes That Would Be (new song) (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18463)

domsgotsideburns 04-05-2018 04:52 PM

Underworld - Brilliant Yes That Would Be (new song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-bl2s5V74

NEW SONG RELEASED ON APRIL 6TH
available for purchase in high-resolution on qobuz: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/br.../p9hcg30ndx8da
available for streaming on spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0KbRA...S7a4Eqqmvy_yBw

domsgotsideburns 04-05-2018 05:00 PM

Re: Underworld - Brilliant Yes That Would Be (new song)

as for the song itself, the background ambience is lush, undoubtedly smith, but a harsh, screeching noise is repeated throughout the whole track. it's an instrumental. it's difficult seeing this as a single, so it's odd seeing it as the first new track released in full. i'm excited to see what comes from this -- it's so stylistically different to anything on barbara barbara.

potatobroth 04-05-2018 05:33 PM

is this real? none of the vids are working for me here in the US.

iamneorev 04-05-2018 05:38 PM

OUT APRIL 6TH, AVAILABLE HERE FOR PURCHASE
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/br.../p9hcg30ndx8da

domsgotsideburns 04-05-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatobroth (Post 163478)

it is real. i'm in australia and i figured that it might've been region restricted. i'm trying to upload one of these right now so it can be viewed worldwide.

iamneorev 04-05-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatobroth (Post 163478)

It is real, as you can buy it above on Qobuz with a release date of April 6th.

domsgotsideburns 04-05-2018 06:11 PM

unfortunately, my attempt at uploading the song was blocked in 50 countries! :eek:
that's to be expected, really. it's likely being shipped out everywhere right now, as it just got put on spotify australia a moment ago.

negative1 04-05-2018 09:05 PM

youtube works for me.

it's a very slow, ambient piece. doesn't vary too much at all during the six plus minutes of it.

some brief sounds come in and out, and thats about it. some of the sounds are distorted though.

later

TheBang 04-05-2018 09:23 PM

The above YouTube links appear to be working for everyone now within the last hour or so.

Resolute 04-05-2018 09:41 PM

not working for me in the uk, but then underworld - topic hasn't worked here for a long time now.

it's on spotify here though.

stargurl 04-05-2018 10:20 PM

Available for me on apple music: https://itunes.apple.com/be/album/br...gle/1367440122

Pappie 04-05-2018 10:54 PM

I don't post a lot but... me like

Out....

wooter 04-06-2018 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappie (Post 163492)
I don't post a lot but... me like

Time to refresh my Ambient Underworld playlist! :p

purlieu 04-06-2018 05:11 AM

Absolutely love this.

Something tells me it's not a conventional lead single though. I'm still guessing we'll get something closer to Riverrun this year rather than a standard album.

richardacre 04-06-2018 06:16 AM

Sounds Blade Runner-y to my ears. Thumbs up

BishBash 04-06-2018 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns (Post 163477)
but a harsh, screeching noise is repeated throughout the whole track. ....

It's an electric guitar, no?

joethelion 04-06-2018 06:53 AM

Any way to purchase the track in the US?
Qobuz is territory restricted....

(edit)

I mean, yes it's on Apple Music - but not the Store

jetpig 04-06-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlieu (Post 163494)
Absolutely love this.

Something tells me it's not a conventional lead single though. I'm still guessing we'll get something closer to Riverrun this year rather than a standard album.

Sign me up for a riverrun2. I wonder what sort of experimental release format that could take these days. Exclusively released in 60 second snippets through Instagram stories? Or do we cycle around? Only available on 8 track? :P

Side note: riverrun is currently unavailable for purchase and has been for a minute. :'(

TheBang 04-06-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joethelion (Post 163497)
Any way to purchase the track in the US?
Qobuz is territory restricted....

I was able to purchase it via PayPal payment from the US on the UK Qobuz site, without using any geo-workarounds.

joethelion 04-06-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 163499)
I was able to purchase it via PayPal payment from the US on the UK Qobuz site, without using any geo-workarounds.

weird.... with me it says

"The following products are unfortunately not available for sale in your country.
Please remove them from your basket to proceed with the payment of your order.
Brilliant Yes That Would Be | Underworld"

TheBang 04-06-2018 08:24 AM

Hm. I have an account on Qobuz from before when I bought some stuff. It's possible that I jumped through some hoops to trick them then to create the account, and now I don't have to do anything to make purchases. Sorry, I can't remember what it was, but it was probably using a UK proxy.

Yeah, in fact, looking in my Account Settings on the site, it says "Your user account is associated with the following country: United Kingdom". So, I think I probably set up the account using a UK proxy. At some point though, possibly during payment or maybe after after the first successful payment, you no longer need the proxy.

potatobroth 04-06-2018 01:49 PM

its okay. was expecting a single-release from a new album but like others have said, its more like a River Run type thing. Love the River Runs so excited either way.

wasn't blown away by this but did enjoy it during a few listens. reminded me of a few of Rick's VH ambient tracks.

holden 04-06-2018 02:06 PM

I quite liked it for what it is, a soundscape. Definitely not the "lead single" vibe of Crocodile, Scribble or TMO, but I will always appreciate new music from our boys. Hopefully this is a harbinger of lush new Sonic experiments.

Pappie 04-08-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wooter (Post 163493)
Time to refresh my Ambient Underworld playlist! :p

I already added it in my Spotify Ambient list... of course :D

dubman 04-09-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by negative1 (Post 163484)

some brief sounds come in and out, and thats about it. some of the sounds are distorted though.

would've been my new sig if there wasn't a character limit.

track is fine, could be great in the context of an album, though i'm pretty sure this is a standalone bone thrown to the fans.
also
they don't have my permission to do more ambient until BWS 2 comes out.

joethelion 04-10-2018 04:12 PM

FYI - it's now available for purchase through iTunes

(and not just streaming via 'Apple Music')

[edit]
Although... weirdly, it doesn't show up on their Artist page. You have to search for the term "Underworld" then you'll be able to get to the release

jetpig 04-11-2018 04:55 PM

makes me think of an underworld mix of Cut Clouds with the ambiance. I imagine this is how Edgelands would feel if Rick was involved.

TheBang 04-13-2018 08:17 PM

A nice post from Rick about the track:

A post shared by on

Drix 08-05-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappie (Post 163512)
I already added it in my Spotify Ambient list... of course :D

I love ambient underworld, could I possibly have a look at your list to see if I'm missing something? :)

iamneorev 08-05-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 163530)
A nice post from Rick about the track:

A post shared by on

Nice, the Lyra-8 from Soma Laboratory. A very lovely synth/noisemaker. They're working on a crazy drum/rhythm machine.

mickstafa 11-04-2019 08:42 AM

Does anyone else struggle with this track? I love ambient UW and really up until now, there wasn't anything that they produced that I had to skip. But the screeching guitar is so grating on my ears, I can't stand it. Because of this I find the track annoying and it's unfortunate it's on so much of the Drift release material.

One True Piano fits this bill too.

:(

deepfriedbeans 11-04-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickstafa (Post 167137)
Does anyone else struggle with this track? I love ambient UW and really up until now, there wasn't anything that they produced that I had to skip. But the screeching guitar is so grating on my ears, I can't stand it. Because of this I find the track annoying and it's unfortunate it's on so much of the Drift release material. :(

Yes - while listening to it today actually I had to admit to myself that I find it a bit annoying, particularly in the context of the sampler. I appreciate the low ambient sounds but other than that I find it very piercing. I WANT to like it but I just tend to wait for it to be finished already, unfortunately. :(

Edit: Also agree about One True Piano Need Hand, it feels like BYTWB 2.0.

dubman 11-04-2019 09:04 AM

i half love it and half don't. the piercing is good, it does what it sets out to do, i want to be out on a windy hill on a cloudy day for it. but there's also a reason why i feel the extra 4 minutes on the back are particularly gorgeous, and that's because it finally _ends_ and the rest is allowed to breathe with that piano.

i think familiarity over time will make it all fine, tbh

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 11-04-2019 09:06 AM

I like the sound itself but there's that little high-pitched trill at the top that does irritate me

khouri 11-04-2019 09:39 AM

I think the screech is what defines the song. It's hard to decouple it from the Iceland video that accompanied it. It paints a sonic picture of that at once serene and desolate place. I think that's its very specific purpose.

Cadevil 11-04-2019 03:40 PM

I felt the same way about the "screech" when it first came out, but I've grown to love this track...sparse & melancholy. Had a couple long plane rides and this was a nice introspective soundtrack.

I'm more surprised by the inclusion of this in Drift S1, simply because its production & release didn't fall into the 52 week timeframe--it was released well before (6 months?) we got Another SiIent Way.

I am happy to have this updated version with the piano section thought!

iamneorev 11-04-2019 03:47 PM

I was always on the fence about the screechy synth as well, which is made by the Soma Labs Lyra-8 synth. But damn, that piano section is gorgeous.

purlieu 11-05-2019 05:32 AM

I love the screechy synth, the contrast with the melancholic chords works brilliantly (yes, that would be). If it was all soft, it might veer slightly too close to cloying for me, instead it's sparse and beautiful and yet a demanding listen too.

34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j 11-05-2019 06:32 AM

my only problem with the synth is it makes me feel like Orbital's Doctor Who theme remix is about to come on

dubman 11-05-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purlieu (Post 167147)
I love the screechy synth, the contrast with the melancholic chords works brilliantly (yes, that would be). If it was all soft, it might veer slightly too close to cloying for me, instead it's sparse and beautiful and yet a demanding listen too.

and

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 167141)
I think the screech is what defines the song. It's hard to decouple it from the Iceland video that accompanied it. It paints a sonic picture of that at once serene and desolate place. I think that's its very specific purpose.

v well put.