Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   treatment. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Babel (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4855)

chino 11-12-2006 01:45 PM

Babel

> Such a nice choice. it made me feel anxious almost the complete projection.
> Love Celso Piña.:)

grady 11-12-2006 06:43 PM

Re: Babel

Eh, didn't do it for me. Felt a bit overlong and scattered at points where I know that was not the intention. I was looking forward to this film a great deal as well.

It looked good, sound great, and was cut and shot impeciably.

But one of the breaking points for me was the use of Gustavo Santaolalla's Iguza near the end of the film. This song was forever cemented in my mind as the piece of music playing as Dr. Wigand heads to give his deposition in Michael Mann's 1999 film The Insider. The images from that film combined with the music just worked so beautifully. Here it was the opposite and served to pull me further out of the film and added to my further growing dislike of the film.

GforGroove 11-14-2006 08:23 AM

The movie is not that good at all is just super well directed. Extremely well.
and visually it's just a delight. The e-trip scene in Japan is so beautiful.
Music is excellent!!! I didn't see Brokeback Mountain but i have the soundtrack... Santaloalla it's such a great film composer.

The brad pitt story was sooo boring honestly, super mainstream terrorism ugh.. but i love the story of Amelia and the kids in the dessert. So true and touchy. Love the mood of the Japanse girl story.

i hope he really stops now with his connected stories. Good try but time to move onto something else. no?

Oh and Gael Garcia Bernal, really needs to stop talking like norteño, because i dont believe his role at all ewww..

chino 11-14-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GforGroove
i hope he really stops now with his connected stories. Good try but time to move onto something else. no?

exactly, this is the same point I discussed with one close friend. I didn't catch 21 grams, but as far as I know, the stories on it were connected on a very similar basis. The good news is that Iñarritu announced that this film signs the end of his trilogy.

Anyway, good one.

adam 11-14-2006 11:42 AM

I thought 21 grams worked. I don't think it was great, but I do think it worked.

grady 11-14-2006 12:45 PM

I wonder if Iñarritu can work outside of the interconnected structure of story telling that he's ingrained himself in with his screenwriter?

I'd like to think he can, and I really have no patience to sit through another film like Babel and I deliberately stayed away from 21 Grams specifically for this reason.

adam 11-14-2006 12:50 PM

I don't think it's really makes much sense to lump 21 Grams into that category. I may not be remembering it clearly, but, from what I recall, it's not really any level of forced or stylized interconnection. It's as simple as X did such and such to Y. Nothing fancy.

GforGroove 11-14-2006 12:51 PM

but 21 gramms is the best of the trylogy...of 3. hehe..
no really, after 21 gramms, amores perros was a bit bleh to me...
and now after Babel, 21 gramms stands out from first and last.

I think he really need to start working with new screenwriters...
and let Guillermo Arriaga for a bit.

I was so happy they won in Cannes but im not sure yet why this screenplay won.. terrorism is so hot i tell you.

grady 11-14-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GforGroove
but 21 gramms is the best of the trylogy...of 3. hehe..
no really, after 21 gramms, amores perros was a bit bleh to me...
and now after Babel, 21 gramms stands out from first and last.

I think he really need to start working with new screenwriters...
and let Guillermo Arriaga for a bit.

I was so happy they won in Cannes but im not sure yet why this screenplay won.. terrorism is so hot i tell you.

That is what one of my friends kept telling me, that 21 grams is the best, but I really enjoyed Amores perros the first time I saw it and haven't seen it since. I think I'll have to add 21 grams to the download queue this evening.

I'm in total agreement with the parting ways of Arriaga, it kind of sounds like that had already been happening with the recent publication of a rift between the two that ran in the Times 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I think Iñarritu deserved the nod for directing from Cannes.

terrorism is too hot for the hot tube!

BeautifulBurnout 07-29-2007 11:56 AM

*SPOILER ALERT*

OK - I saw this film on Friday and really enjoyed it, although it took a good while to "heat up" - ditto just about everything that was said by GforGroove really. Fantastic visualisations, but the Brad Pitt/Cate Blanchett bit of the story was a tad tedious and, to my mind (maybe cos I used to have quite a few Moroccan friends in France?) a tad racist in the reactions of the tourists.

But anyway - I have a question that has been bugging me.

Spoiler ahead:

When the Brad Pitt character is phoning home from the hospital towards the end of the film, he talks to Emilia on the phone. Does this mean that the whole episode with Emilia and the kids hasn't yet happened in the scheme of things? Cos he talks of his sister-in-law Rachel coming over the next evening to look after the kids. Or is it just a big blip in the continuity? It has left me really puzzled. Any thoughts, anyone?