Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Back in the Fears > Back in the Fears? (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2324)

potatobroth 01-12-2006 10:14 AM

Back in the Fears > Back in the Fears?

The Back in the Fears version in the Electraglide Tokyo gig (last track of disc 2) is by FAR superior to the Back in the Fears included in the most recent RiverRun Project.

The RRP version has no emotion to it and just comes across as a bumper to the next track where as the Electradlide version is all about emotion. Karl's sung lyrics atop the repeating ones is what makes this track powerful; the background is meaningless without the foreground. The breakdown in the Electraglide version is some powerful stuff and the mini buildup really punches home this fantastic track.

Its almost hard to believe they are the same song. Goes to show that a subtle difference can really make or break a track.

So 4.5/5 stars for Back in the Fears. And 2/5 stars for Back in the Fears. ;)

holden 01-12-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Back in the Fears > Back in the Fears?

i agree that the live version is very emotive...but it's also 11+ minutes long! The Pizza For Eggs version is just over 2 minutes. But it doesn't seem like a bumper or filler to me at all! i think it fits great, since the guitar has similar effects as that utilized in "Food A Ready" before it.

potatobroth 01-12-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden
i agree that the live version is very emotive...but it's also 11+ minutes long! The Pizza For Eggs version is just over 2 minutes.

well 3-4 minutes of that is the lead-in to King Of Snake, but yes it certainly is longer. All I'm saying is the version UW chose to put on PFE isn't anywhere near as powerful as the one they played live imo.

Quote:

But it doesn't seem like a bumper or filler to me at all! i think it fits great, since the guitar has similar effects as that utilized in "Food A Ready" before it.
You are correct in that it has the same guitar as FaR but that only reinforces the point that its a bumper/filler. Its not fleshed out. Its just the tail end of a track that leads you off one feeling into and into a new one. In the Electraglide set, its its own entity. And its WONDERFUL. Had I never heard the Electraglide version, I'd say the RRP version was at best a nice track, but nothing to be excited over since it goes nowhere. It certainly doesn't stand on its own since its just repeating 4 lines for 2 minutes with no variation. The live version on the other hand... WOW.

jose m 01-12-2006 10:54 AM

marking tracks this way as if they are competing with each other is plain daft.does everything have to be better or worse,bigger or smaller,stronger or weaker?whats wrong with different these days?i might be out of step here but this sort of thing leads to all the stupid "the 100 best ever ......." bollocks.:confused:

holden 01-12-2006 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jose m
marking tracks this way as if they are competing with each other is plain daft.does everything have to be better or worse,bigger or smaller,stronger or weaker?whats wrong with different these days?i might be out of step here but this sort of thing leads to all the stupid "the 100 best ever ......." bollocks.:confused:

It's just sharing opinions, is all. Anyway, most everything on this world is superlative anyway;)

potatobroth 01-12-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

I don't see how a single thing I wrote in this thread can remotely be considered compiling a best of/worst of. I think you might have meant to post in the Survivor thread instead of this one.

Is it wrong to point out the differences of 2 versions of the same song and explain why I am infatuated with one and unmoved by another?

jose m 01-12-2006 11:17 AM

come back for a 2nd bite eh?

potatobroth 01-12-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

come back for a 2nd bite eh?

i'm not sure i understand this.

Dirty0900 01-12-2006 11:44 AM

I do think a lot of the things on the RRP sound very flat compared to live stuff.

potatobroth 01-12-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty0900
I do think a lot of the things on the RRP sound very flat compared to live stuff.

Well I guess I'm looking at it like this:

Lenny Penne is pretty similar in both live shows and its RRP counterpart. The Lovely Broken Thing version is a complete track and I think, a pretty well done one at that. In concert its pretty similar (with the addition of You Do Scribble, becomes something else.) The Cups outro holds up well on both the album and in live shows but only as an outro. It works well bleeding off of another song but never quite becomes its own track. At least not a track that I will fast-forward to listen to. At the end of another track however, its great.

That was how I was all set to think about Back in the Fears, as the new outro to Food a Ready. Then I heard the Electraglide show and was quite simply blown away by its transformation from outro to full on track. I instantly went back to listen to RRP and was a little saddened to hear that the produced version lacked any of the power of the live one. I don't mean to say that it doesn't have a nice sound to it, but is just 'flat' as you say Dirty0900 in comparisson to itself. Cups outro remains as powerful live and produced. Lenny Penne the same. Back in the Fears, however is a different story.