Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   treatment. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A History of Violence (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1215)

Animal Boything 10-01-2005 05:34 PM

A History of Violence

I saw this movie mere minutes ago... what a treat. It's Cronenberg cleverly disguised as mainstream fare, and it has the combined strengths of both. It's tense and darkly funny, and explores the themes of violence and family in a thought-provoking way. The cast is amazing... I was particularly impressed with Maria Bello's performance, but it was full of great actors in interesting roles. Viggo Mortensen is by now well-established as a bankable leading man, and he did not disappoint.

I don't want to talk about the plot just yet, because it's best to see it without knowing too much, but after a few more of you have, it will be fun to discuss.

ndrwrld 10-02-2005 11:59 AM

Re: A History of Violence

i'm all over this.
the trailer is sweet...not too much info...just enough to pull me WAY in.

grady 10-02-2005 04:00 PM

Saw this last night and really enjoyed the film. It's very simple, and you have to tread lightly as to not give away much of the plot and the turns the film takes, but it was quite good.

b.miller 10-03-2005 02:09 PM

good. it managed to get overhyped for me in 2 days though so i'll just say good.

grady 10-03-2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.miller
good. it managed to get overhyped for me in 2 days though so i'll just say good.

It was getting overhyped for me for months along with Broken Flowers as both films gained wide acclaim and awards at the Cannes Film Festival last May. But as the hype started to grow and grow for Broken Flowers and my attempt to see it was thwarted by a full auditorium, I resigned to hold off on seeing it until it goes to the beer theaters.

As for Violence, it's a new film from David Cronenberg and I simply couldn't wait, plus the hype hadn't reached a fever pitch level that Broken Flowers seemed to so quickly.

However, who knows though. If I had missed my opportunity to see A History of Violence this weekend and then began to be bombarded by acclaim and praise, I might have backed away as well. But the hype doesn't seem to be nearly as strong for Violence as it was for Flowers.

ffolkes 10-03-2005 09:28 PM

I've been waiting for this movie for a looong time. Too long.

Aaron Contreras 10-11-2005 03:49 PM

I was seriously underwhelmed by the direction and script - specifically certain plot points. The gratuitous stairs scene was a clumsy, tacky way of expressing something pretty valid.

The bit with William Hurt was ridiculous - movie didn't need to be that long.

Very solid acting by the leads. Didn't make me think and generally felt let down.

Skie 10-17-2005 09:56 PM

This movie was a pretty big disappointment for me for the reasons Aaron has mentioned. Had it not been for the acting by the leads, I'd have probably left the theater.

IsiliRunite 10-18-2005 04:25 PM

Give Ed Harris an Oscar......again?

adam 03-20-2006 03:40 PM

I found this to be thoroughly mediocre. Plus the trailer pretty much showed the first 2/3 of the movie.