Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   headset. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   nine inch nails - year zero (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5335)

grady 02-15-2007 11:46 AM

nine inch nails - year zero

A concept album, complete with a very strategic marketing campaign.

Planned leaked tracks appearing on USB flash drives found at concerts in Europe.

(note. sorry, didn't mean to post twice. the connection was lagging on my end.)

joethelion 02-15-2007 12:57 PM

Re: nine inch nails - year zero

ok - this isn't supposed to come off as sarcastic as it might but...

"wow - someone's finally used the internet in a clever way to promote an upcoming album"

I honestly mean that, as this whole:
•."unplanned leak" out the album
•.get blogger / MB people support
•.artist complains about the "leak"
•.mp3's dry up for a while
•.album gets released - usually unchanged from the original 'leak'

is well - a TIRED way to acheive awareness of an album's release. Sure, it was something clever when it first started happening... and -at first- it may have been accidental, but nowadays... it just seems like a set 'formula' that umpteen indie/electronic/"edgy" bands do waaay too often

I think Trent's got a great idea [although - I have to say... it's kind of what I would do if I ever got into the "music biz"] - and it wasn't made in such a fashion where everything was a clear-cut path... like flyers weren't handed out with "IAmTryingToBelieve.com" at concerts... someone had to decypher the code

and if it's true that tracks were leaked out like "MY Violent Heart" (quoted from track comments "found in men's bathroom, stall 4, coliseum, lisbon, portugal") all I have to say is "WOW" - I mean, there's a good chance that the usb drive would be damaged, soiled, or the contents would never turn up online

this whole deal seems to be somewhat of a pretty ballsy move... not as far as letting tracks out (in general) but the actual method, like - I would say that there would be a good 30%-40% chance that the whole deal would just fall flat on it's face

grady 02-15-2007 01:11 PM

This whole type of promotion feels very similar to the viral campaigns that were used in the past couple years to promote major Hollywood films. The one that comes to mind in particular was the whole promotional secrecy shroud around Spielberg's AI.

A month ago a friend of mine who's a copywriter for an agency forwarded an article about this type of promotion that is moving more towards niches of demographics and away from large scale promotional pushes. This is all nothing new and is just the reaction to the advent of internet marketing + promotion.

As far as Trent leaking the material. It makes sense. He also recently leaked ISO DVD-Rs of the Broken short film and Closure which is now held up in rights issues at the moment. Just head over to pirate bay or any other torrent site. Leaking the DVD seems like it may be a way at getting material out to fans, but at the chagrin of record companies and media congloms.

joethelion 02-15-2007 01:37 PM

well - I just went over to one of the NIN fan pages

and they had a phone number listed, when you call it - it gives you a recording

(310) - 295 - 1040

which is the same thing that Radiohead did for "Hail to the Theif", and if my friend Liz wasn't lying -> also done around the time of the "Airbag EP" (she claims that she called a phone number found somewhere on the disc. When she called it, someone actually picked up... I'm pretty sure she claimed that one of the band members talked to her, and that it wasn't just a recording... [or was it a number on "Ok Computer"?])

but ANYWAYS

on the NIN fan mb - someone mentioned that if you put in the numbers 2278, then the # key just as the message started, a different voice comes up and asks for your name and phone number

I figured, "Why not?" and gave my first name and cell number... just to see what happens

2278 is what you get when you type in CARV with your phone, and I guess "Carver" is a character on the album...?

grady 02-15-2007 02:38 PM

I called that number too. Was wondering if they might throw some video up to accompany these emerging sites and sci-fi like storyline. Or maybe I'm just hoping for more than what there is.

I remember calling that Radiohead line when Hail to the Thief came out.

When the film Magnolia came out, during the opening sequence when the commercial for Frank T.J. Mackey's Seduce and Destroy female seduction system had a working phone with a pretty amusing voice recording that used some of Cruise dialog as well as a sales pitch. I still remember the number, it was 888-TAME-HER.

djeddy 02-15-2007 10:46 PM

these silly marketing campaigns never work.

just leak the damn thing..honest folk will buy your album. and i wont.:D

the mongoose 02-16-2007 05:41 AM

Thanks for the link!:cool:

Sounds different from Teeth, which I guess is a good thing....not sure if it's going to have as much mass appeal though. Nice little teaser track.

thee carp dreamer 02-16-2007 07:17 AM

yea, awitha teetha was shite, released stuff from new lp is actually rather good.

and the game thingy is good fun too.

Ally 02-16-2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thee carp dreamer
yea, awitha teetha was shite, released stuff from new lp is actually rather good.

and the game thingy is good fun too.

No I revisited With Teeth recently and thought there were some great elements. The Hand That Feeds is a dancefloor monster and the opener All The Love In The World has this amazing house moment where I was like

:eek: ....... :D .. NIN!.. :cool:

adam 02-16-2007 07:48 AM

I find With Teeth very weird. Every single song has some element that I really like - in some of them they only last about 4 seconds of the entire track. And the parts that aren't those specific moments are totally boring. So I can't dismiss the album as not interesting, for me, because the fact that every song has some little jewel in it won't allow that...but at the same time it's very frustrating to listen to a four minute track for a four second reward.

Fragile ftw.

(The Photek remix of The Hand that Feeds is great).