Dirty Forums

Dirty Forums (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/index.php)
-   underworld. (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop (https://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18477)

lloyd 05-26-2018 01:40 PM

Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJWD9jQvhc
Underworld & Iggy Pop - Bells & Circles

holden 05-26-2018 02:03 PM

Re: New album teasers

Whoa. That was unexpected and brilliant. Banging track with some bizarre spoken word.

Dirty0900 05-26-2018 02:11 PM

Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop

https://uwip.lnk.to/YTBAC

joethelion 05-26-2018 02:20 PM

Re: Bells & Circles Ft. Iggy Pop

...and again - nothing on iTunes

(edit)

Well, at least you can download it via Amazon... I was worried it was going to be a streaming-only track.

(edit 2)

Okay - I guess I was just being impatient. It's on iTunes / Apple Music.

khouri 05-26-2018 02:23 PM

Fun backing track by Rick and Karl utterly ruined by a gross, sexist rant from Iggy Pop. I can’t believe how vastly misfired that was.

TheBang 05-26-2018 02:25 PM

Available for purchase on Google Play and Amazon Music. I imagine it will make its way to other retailers soon.

Resolute 05-26-2018 02:26 PM

not too sold on the vocal track but i like the rest of the sounds.

darktrain 05-26-2018 02:28 PM

Single up on Apple Music. Art says Tea Time Dub Encounters...album title?!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/be...gle/1386840122

iamneorev 05-26-2018 02:34 PM

Tea Time Dub Encounters
This is on the YouTube artwork. Album title?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Awqd76nNeM

holden 05-26-2018 02:34 PM

Downloaded from Napster.

Not crazy about some of Iggy's sentiments, but, dang... Rick can still bring it with the beats and bass!

Lx_Nen 05-26-2018 02:39 PM

I kept thinking of The Chemical Brothers "Golden Path"

jetpig 05-26-2018 02:53 PM

I wish Iggy's vocals didn't distract me so much from every other part of this fantastic song. I don't know quite how I feel about Iggy's part, yet, but it's definitely conflicted.

potatobroth 05-26-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 163732)
Fun backing track by Rick and Karl utterly ruined by a gross, sexist rant from Iggy Pop. I can’t believe how vastly misfired that was.

Uh oh. With ya there, this was a poor poor effort. Drums we nice tho.

potatobroth 05-26-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 163725)
Whoa. That was unexpected and brilliant. Banging track with some bizarre spoken word.

This was Iggy getting in front of the #metoo movement :P

The track really went nowhere. Drums were nice but with little to no variation. Hope this was a little One-off type of thing.

Dirty Saint 05-26-2018 03:42 PM

Love it.

Iggy Pop bring something different to the party:D

holden 05-26-2018 03:43 PM

I'm not defending him, but Mr. Pop is of another time. The situations he describes are antiquated and inappropriate. It comes across as jaded and dated and not defensible.

As for the music... Listen again, and hear the build. I'm of the opinion that we haven't heard this level of sustained techno bombast since The Riverrun.

jetpig 05-26-2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holden (Post 163748)
As for the music... Listen again, and hear the build. I'm of the opinion that we haven't heard this level of sustained techno bombast since The Riverrun.

THIS! You just jogged my memory! This echoes the unreleased 2005 live track from Heineken I think with Rick singing, "Sometimes all I can do is count...."

TheBang 05-26-2018 04:09 PM

Available in FLAC on TIDAL here:

http://tidal.com/us/store/album/89140096

Bit expensive though. I imagine it will be available in FLAC soon on 7digital and Qobuz.

potatobroth 05-26-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lx_Nen (Post 163739)
I kept thinking of The Chemical Brothers "Golden Path"

THIS!!! except Golden Path had more of a 'payout' for me

TheBang 05-26-2018 04:39 PM

Esme is credited for additional vocals on this track.

Is this the first Underworld track/collaboration with a guest vocalist? I can't think of any others. There's Moon in Water where Danielle did the vocals, but that was a replacement for the MacinTalk Vicki track. I guess maybe Eclipse counts too, but we don't know who that vocalist is.

TheBang 05-26-2018 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetpig (Post 163749)
THIS! You just jogged my memory! This echoes the unreleased 2005 live track from Heineken I think with Rick singing, "Sometimes all I can do is count...."

Well, that was "5 Foot 5", a Pricey track, from the Akademik gig.

TheBang 05-26-2018 04:54 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but in the post-gig interview on the radio, Karl mentioned that this track came out of collaborations with Iggy that were done for possible use in T2, but ultimately were not. But they recorded this with him, as well as some other tracks that might be forthcoming.

khouri 05-26-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBang (Post 163755)
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, but in the post-gig interview on the radio, Karl mentioned that this track came out of collaborations with Iggy that were done for possible use in T2, but ultimately were not. But they recorded this with him, as well as some other tracks that might be forthcoming.

Makes a lot more sense in the T2 context. That’s a film about deeply flawed people getting older and living in a modern world that’s evolved beyond their abilities to keep up. Think of Renton’s rants in both films and you can sort of justify Iggy’s as a similar rant from another angle. Which is not to say it’s any good. The substance is still an old man complaining about he can no longer do destructive things to himself and other people without consequences, which runs directly against the cultural moment in which the song finds itself.

ultradave 05-26-2018 05:55 PM

...can I get an instrumental on this? I like Iggy, but seriously... khouri is right, this is just an old man's rant set to the background of some amazing music by Rick. Not sure if I'm willing to dish out cash for this and I pretty much buy everything underworld... when it comes to audio.

pandamagic 05-26-2018 06:42 PM

The Iggy Pop rant is cringey and dumb. The music is okay but nowhere close to what they're capable of doing. So this is a thumbs down for me.

potatobroth 05-26-2018 08:15 PM

I tired again. Love the drums, hate the Iggy part.

negative1 05-26-2018 08:34 PM

no thank you.

later

darkvoice 05-26-2018 10:18 PM

Song should 've ended with wear sunscreen.... :)

Georg. 05-27-2018 12:50 AM

If they give us an instrumental version I am happy...

King of Snake 05-27-2018 01:52 AM

Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about Iggy Pop. It's Iggy Pop. He's an old rock star. A rebel. Wasn't rock and roll supposed to be anti-PC? About "misbehaving"? Having fun? He talks about hitting on a stewardess. Oh my, how terribly sexist.

Sure it's a "rant" from a guy from another time but this #MeToo sensitivity can go too far you know.
I was happy though that some more Underworld-y vocals came in later in the track with the "sunlight on my wings" refrain.

Fun track. Would listen again. I actually like the video this time too.

King of Snake 05-27-2018 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khouri (Post 163757)
Makes a lot more sense in the T2 context. That’s a film about deeply flawed people getting older and living in a modern world that’s evolved beyond their abilities to keep up.

Which basically describes every person on the planet. Including you and me at some point in the future. (not saying we're all flawed to the same extent as some of the characters in Trainspotting of course but you get my meaning).

Quote:

Think of Renton’s rants in both films and you can sort of justify Iggy’s as a similar rant from another angle. Which is not to say it’s any good. The substance is still an old man complaining about he can no longer do destructive things to himself and other people without consequences, which runs directly against the cultural moment in which the song finds itself.
And we must not have music that goes against the current cultural norms of course. I'd have to say they timed this song quite well, almost like they did it on purpose.

potatobroth 05-27-2018 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of Snake (Post 163771)
Not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about Iggy Pop. It's Iggy Pop. He's an old rock star.

Because his part kinda sucks; content and delivery.

Dirty Saint 05-27-2018 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradave (Post 163761)
...can I get an instrumental on this? I like Iggy, but seriously... khouri is right, this is just an old man's rant set to the background of some amazing music by Rick. Not sure if I'm willing to dish out cash for this and I pretty much buy everything underworld... when it comes to audio.

Isn't this the basis of near all other Underworld tracks ;)

potatobroth 05-27-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Saint (Post 163774)
Isn't this the basis of near all other Underworld tracks ;)

Nah. It would feel even more wrong of Karl sang it. Banging drums with awkward lyrics layered on.

darkvoice 05-27-2018 05:00 AM

First listen on a phone. Tracks is mwoah. Second listen car stereo: man this track rocks! Great vibe and at thirst I found the Karl lyrics a bit off but it grows and love the whole track. Also live this is a great banger. Finally!

joethelion 05-27-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvoice (Post 163776)
First listen on a phone. Tracks is mwoah. Second listen car stereo: man this track rocks! Great vibe and at thirst I found the Karl lyrics a bit off but it grows and love the whole track. Also live this is a great banger. Finally!

totally agree

Dino3D 05-27-2018 09:01 AM

Love the track. Very dubnobass vibes.

holden 05-27-2018 03:04 PM

Bass recalls "Dark and Long"

iamneorev 05-27-2018 04:54 PM

I like it.
First song in a long time that gave me that classic Underworld Dub/STITI vibes. I miss that driving beat/bass they were ace at.

I hope we get more!

King of Snake 05-28-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatobroth (Post 163773)
Because his part kinda sucks; content and delivery.

Great argument.